Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,462   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'd go with a bellows too...if I had the money.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think enlarger lenses is good for duping slides. I remember working for a lab that used a 50mm or an 80mm for slide duping. The final dupes were slightly smaller to copy the whole original. We used a cheap slow, low contrast, tungsten balanced slide film.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If I had the money, I would buy a film scanner.

I would think a lens that excels at flat-field performance would be a good choice.

Shooter
    35mm
    I made my first attempt at slipe duping a while ago, using a Nikon bellows with slide copier and a 50mm f/1.8D. I was duping onto color film and unfortunately the results were unusable (I'm going to try pre-flashing next time). Regarding sharpness, the results varied wildly from one shot to the next; I think the weakest link was my focusing technique, and possibly tripod vibration. The 1.8 did a surprisingly good job when I nailed the focus; good enough for 11"x14" prints or smaller, anyway. I do have an El Nikkor and I'd love to hear from anyone who's used that for duping (or macro).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The question is, how much better quality will I get by buying a special macro lens? Would you care to recommend a Nikon mount macro lens that I should use?
    Night & Day difference. You should have a flat field lens, such as the Nikon Micro, and I recommend the Nikon bellows unit, fairly inexpensive nowadays.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once, I routinely used a Nikon PS-4 Slide Copy Attachment and a 55mm f/3.5 macro lens reverse mounted on Nikon PB-4 bellows to copy slides. To make negatives for black & white printing, I used Kodak High Contrast Copy film (ISO 8).

However, I stopped using this setup when I bought a flatbed scanner that allowed me to batch-scan up to 24 slides (mounted or unmounted). Today, I only use the PS-4 set-up when I need to make slide-to-slide copies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/7072654453/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon bellows 027b sml.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I'll second the Micro Nikkor, it's one of those really fine lenses that seems to be undervalued.

The quality will be vastly better than your 1.4.

edit - I'm pretty sure Nikon made a slide duplicator to go with that lens, the 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor.
    E., I have a Nikon PB-4 bellows and PS-4 slide copying attachment to go with it. I haven't looked, suspect that there are similar slide copying attachments for the other Nikon bellows. IMO the PB-4's features look nice but are pretty useless, wouldn't recommend one. The PS-4, however, is very handy, has vertical and horizontal shift so allows reframing.

Strongly concur with recommendations to use a 55 MicroNikkor, add to that that they are probably best used for slide copying at apertures no smaller than f/8.

I've usually copied K14 slides onto a daylight type E6 emulsion, have always had problems with contrast gain and color temperature. Kodak used to make a low contrast E6 emulsion for slide copying, it is probably long gone. If I were to do it again, I'd probably use tungsten balanced E6 (if there still is such a thing and it can be found) and the right tungsten lamp. Copying K14 to K14 was very problematic, but since K14 processing has gone away its moot.

One other comment. The typical slide mount has an opening slightly smaller than 24 x 36. Copying a mounted slide entails getting some mount around the periphery of the copy (if shooting at 1:1) or slight enlarging. I always enlarged a little.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    ...make B&W dupes of color slides for making B&W prints.
    I've done hundreds of these. Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 AI-S, PK-13 and the ES-1 duplicator. Handheld or on a tripod, no difference (though tripod will free your hands to shuffle the slides). Point towards a window or lamp, internal camera meter just fine. Stopped down to something reasonable... 8? (expect shutter speeds in seconds). Ilford PanF+, nominal or pulled one stop, in DD-X. 11x14 prints on MGIV indistingushable or clearly better than prints from "native" HP5+ negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is my setup for copying film/slides, and to also digitize them. Pentax DSLR, or any other brand DSLR or SLR. Bellows with slide attachment holder and marco lens. I can also reverse the lens for a flat field effect if I need to crop more than 1:1. I also have a Plustek 7600 film scanner, and this Pentax setup matches or beats the Plustek, plus it is much faster.

Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My setup.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wayne, that is one cool set up.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin