Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,845   Online: 815

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Wayne, that is one cool set up.
    Thanks, I have been looking for a holder for 6x6 so I can do the same thing with larger negatives. They are hard to find. If a person is interested in copying slides or negatives to digital or film, I advise looking for this setup. Bellows for all camera makes were/are available on ebay, and the prices are low. I have had this setup (for a Pentax film camera) for over 25 years.

Wayne

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd advise a proper Macro lens too.

Generally they're designed for as little distortion as possible and the greatest sharpness possible, the trade-off is generally a slower lens. You can use them for conventional subjects too - I have the original SMC Pentax 100mm f4 which I use as a plain 100mm lens on bright days as well as for macro stuff. Focus is a bit twitchy near infinity but it's ridiculously sharp even at f4, and brilliant for architecture.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Too old to care View Post
    This is my setup for copying film/slides, and to also digitize them. Pentax DSLR, or any other brand DSLR or SLR.
    Wayne
    I see you are using a Pentax DSLR+50mm macro+Autobellow+Slide holder which is what I have too. However, I even have to crop less then the visible area of the mounted slide let alone achieve 1:1. I have tried all the possible combinations and cannot achieve focus. Of course I can achieve 1:1 with any of my Pentax 35mm bodies but the only way I have managed to get 1:1 with a DSLR is to use one of my zoom lenses between 70-70mm. Can you tell me what lens you're using to copy slides and are you getting just the cropped area from the mounted slides or 1:1 on a full frame of 35mm film? TIA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do have a slight crop with the K5, but if I rack the lens all the way back and squash the bellows flat, it is very little. I get probably 90% of the negative area, which is usually ok for what I need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like this is turning into a DSLR thread...

Shooter
    35mm
    Then let's turn it back to an SLR thread . . .

Using Kodak Portra 400.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have used a Nikon PB4 bellows and the 55mm Nikon f/3.5 and 55mm Nikon f/2.8. These give good results for digitizing and making copy negatives. As far as quality is concerned when digitizing the DSLR gives better results than a 4000dpi scanner. I don't think you will be disappointed in the lens for slide copying. You can get the same results without a bellows (which is how I started out to verify the idea could work well). With the Nikon 55mm lenses you need an extension tube to reach 1:1. You will also need to get a light source behind the slide. A light table would work well. I use a flash behind the slide with the diffusion plexiglass in the slide copy attachment. Then getting the whole setup parallel will be required. If you have many slides to copy a bellows with slide copy attachment is definitely the easiest and fastest way. Once setup I can "scan" or copy a whole roll in about 15 minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have lots of slides I would like to copy but have been delaying doing with my Nikon scanner. This seems like to perfect solution, as well as if I need to make a B&W print from either a slide. I have the Nikon set up already. Cool.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Looks like this is turning into a DSLR thread...
    Sorry about that, I actually use this setup mostly with my K1000 to copy many of thousands of old slides that I have shot over the years, some of them are posted here. Because many of my slides (color) are 40 plus years old and were often processed by labs other than Kodak, thus are fading; I am converting some of them to B&W film to save as many as possible. My setup works very well for this purpose, which is why I said to use a SLR with it. The equipment via ebay is cheap too. One computer crash and my digital photos are gone, but my film they will always be here.

Wayne

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Too old to care View Post
    Sorry about that, I actually use this setup mostly with my K1000 to copy many of thousands of old slides that I have shot over the years, some of them are posted here. Because many of my slides (color) are 40 plus years old and were often processed by labs other than Kodak, thus are fading; I am converting some of them to B&W film to save as many as possible. My setup works very well for this purpose, which is why I said to use a SLR with it. The equipment via ebay is cheap too. One computer crash and my digital photos are gone, but my film they will always be here.

Wayne
    Wayne, make color separations and you can preserve the color as well. It'll take longer and use up three times as much film, but it may be worth it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin