Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,392   Online: 706

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for a new film camera. Suggestions wanted!!!

I have a K-1000 and loved it during my student years. But I plan on returning this to my father (former photographer himself) and am looking to upgrade. As a Nikon guy, I prefer a camera that will work with the FX lenses that I have / continue to purchase and the batteries are a concern. I've looked into a list of cameras from Nikon and have settled on a N90s with the MB-10 grip (allowing me to use AAs). I have looked into the N80 but people elsewhere talk about the difficulty to find the correct batteries for it, though I never really looked into the type required or how hard they were to find.

After some reading on here, most people that talk about their N90 / N90s talk about their preference to their F3 or F4. Help me decide, good folks of APUG!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're used to Nikon's digital SLRs, the N80, F5, or F100 would be the best choices as they have the same basic control layout as the digital Nikons. If you prefer manual focus with traditional control layouts, the F3 or F4 are both good choices. The F4 has AF but it is not as good as the AF in the N80, F5, or F100. The N90 is popular because it has better AF than an F4 but is smaller, lighter, and a lot cheaper.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Go with the F90X (N90S for Americans). And you don't need the MB-10 as the camera already runs on 4 AAs with the regular MS-8. The MB-10 would allow you to have a vertical shutter release and to use CR123s on the optional MS-11 tray, if you find one. It normally comes with the MS-10 for the same 4 AAs as used by the regular camera.
    The F90X used to be sold in the UK bundled with the MB-10 in a so called "Professional" package. The F90X is a semi-professional camera with shutter speeds running up to 1/8000th, exposure compensation can be done in 1/3 and it has a fantastic metering system. Compare that with the F80 that was made for amateurs and so shutter speeds only go to 1/4000th, exposure compensation is only in 1/2 and a not so high flash sync. of only 1/125th, instead of the 1/250th of the F90X.
    And, to top it all, if you find or can make the correct cable, you can connect a F90X to the computer and adjust some functions from the PC, retrieve shooting data from the camera or even shot from the PC!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies! Auto focus means very little to me. I almost never use it.

I'll look into comparisons between the F4 and N90s now. I guessing the cost will be the deciding factor between the two though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can vouch for the N90s also. Great battery life and being standard over-the-counter batts they are readily available. The N90s is one of four Nikons I own and with a developing cataract in my right eye, the auto-focus is very handy. Overall I find to be a very flexible system and more often than not, my go to camera for 35mm.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua029 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Auto focus means very little to me. I almost never use it.

I'll look into comparisons between the F4 and N90s now. I guessing the cost will be the deciding factor between the two though.
    The N90 will be a lot less money. The F4 still goes for $200-$250, while a nice N90 is around $60. The F4 weighs a ton too, but I like the traditional shutter speed dial and other controls instead of the thumbwheels and LCDs of the N90. Lately I have been using my F3 more because it is smaller and lighter than my F4, but it doesn't have the 1/8000 top shutter speed or the 1/250 flash synch if those matter to you.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    The N90s is one of four Nikons I own and with a developing cataract in my right eye, the auto-focus is very handy.
    Sorry to hear about it!
    Yeap, that little camera keeps surprising me how good it is!

Joshua
    As you can see on my signature, I do have 2 F4: a F4 with the small MB-20 grip for 4 AAs and the larger F4S which uses 6 AAs. Often batteries that are still good on the F90X, will be dead on the F4. It uses a lot of power!
    The AF on the F4 is slower, but there is little that the F4 can do that can't be done on the F90X.
    The main reason for the F4 is its system expandability. I mean, there are dozens of different screens made to it, the different grips and the many other accessories made for it, turns that camera into a Professional tool.
    The F4 is easier to operate in Manual for someone coming from the full manual K1000: you have a shutter speeds dial and the aperture is change with a ring on the lenses, but you have an 100% coverage viewfinder and a full readout of all parameters. The F90X uses a system of button plus a main dial to change values. The F4 has readouts on both the top and bottom of the screen, while the F90X puts everything on just one LCD on the bottom. Both shows you the number of frames taken, the exposure mode and a digital scale in Manual.
    Both cameras have a multi-function back available for them. The F4 uses the MF-23 and the F90X uses the MF-26. I own both and they are a bit fiddle to operate. The F90X one is slightly easier to work with as it uses the Main Dial to change values. Both allow a series of functions less often used.
    The one for the F4 is larger and has some very nice features like imprinting the shutter speeds/aperture value in-between the frames on film.
    Above all, the F4 in any configuration is heavier and larger than a F90X.
    About costs. I don't know the American market, but in the UK, you can often see a nice sample of a F90X with the MB-10 going for around £45-50 and the F4 goes for around £125-160 depending on condition.
    Finally, the F90X AF motor is said to be one of strongest in any Nikon camera and only the F5 surpasses it in that field.
    Have a nice holiday!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for taking the time for that huge write up Ricardo! It sounds like I couldn't really go wrong with either choice but the F4 may the model for me. Maybe, if I can find the N90s for that cheap, I'll end up with both.

bobwysiwyg, I'm sorry to hear of the condition!

Thanks to everyone who replied!
    Last edited by joshua029; 12-22-2012 at 05:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F3 is the newest one I own and has always done everything I ever needed in a 35mm SLR. I probably should try the N90 or F100 one of these days. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Batteries should not be a concern because they can be found easily. Only very few Nikons used mercury batteries.
    You said FX lenses but if they are G type lenses than the older cameras won't work with them like F3 and even F4 not in all modes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin