Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,695   Online: 871

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I like the 50/1.8 A1s semi-pancake for a particular reason. It's really a second-string design, but one stop down is fabulously sharp, is compact, and was inexpensive enough that I can travel with it without getting paranoid. My 55/2.8 is a better optic with better build. But I seldom shoot 35mm except for rainy days or brisk walks when I don't want to have to clean my big cameras afterwards.
    And I don't generally use "normal" focal lengths. So a semi-pancake fits nicely into a little nook in the bag below the 85/1.4 I mostly use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My multicoated 50/2 are sharper than older S. Sharp wide open and razor sharp two stops
    down.
    Personally I prefer the 50/1.4 SC.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The 50/2 H (all versions, including the AI 50/2 - they're all the same basic lens, just a different barrel with longer throw helix on the rubber focus ring versions). I have a regular AF 50/1.8 (non-D, Japanese build), which is also a decent lens, but I do think the older 50/2 beats it. Alas, my current 50/2 H is still pre-AI, so it's only used on the FTn, FT2, and the F. I also have the two better non-AF 50/1.4's. The original S version with factory AI ring, and the AI version. For some reason, the SC and the big K versions tend to have a milky green cast, especially with Fuji film, which isn't there with the older S, nor the compact K version or the AI version.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post
    http://www.destoutz.ch/lenses_standard_50mm_f2.html

last row. barrel length. it's either a pancake or a longnose. there were no AI pancakes so you've got a longnose. score
    Sorry, I'm not seeing anything that looks remarkably longer than anything else. Maybe I'm expecting the difference to be marked, not subtle. Which of the four lens on the last row is a longnose and which is a pancake? Are any of the lenses on the other rows so characterized?

Shooter
    35mm
    Lenses 1 and 3 are long nose, 2 and 4 are pancakes.
    Look at how much barrel there is between the silver ring and the top of the lens. Or, if you like this perspective better, look at the front element - in lenses 1 and 3 it is deeply recessed while in 2 and 4 it lies almost flat with the filter ring.

In absolute terms the difference is not remarkable. It's a 50mm lens after all. If you held them in your hands the difference would be obvious.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin