Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,806   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikkor 50mm f2 or f1.8?

Which nikkor do you prefer?
    The 50mm f2 or the newer 50mm f1.8?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darin, I've never had an f/2er. I do have a somewhat recent manual focus 50/1.8. Under some circumstances it produces a little reddish hot spot in the middle of the frame. I've read that this is typical behavior.

If I were you I'd go for a late (AI) 50/2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never had an f/2.

I have an f/1.8 but I actually prefer the 50mm f/1.4.

Shooter
    35mm
    longnose 1.8; the long throw of the 2 becomes incredibly annoying after a while, if you try to use it for anything else than close-ups of beer coasters... they're comparable optically, both superb... but then, there's also the pleasure of discovering things for yourself, can't go wrong with either at the prices they're selling for

ps. the pancake 1.8 is competent but meh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have owned a couple of the f/2 lenses. They are extremely, extremely good.

The best Nikkor is reputed to be the original metal AI 50/1.8 (not the Series E or the meter coupling shoe-less newer AI 1.8 which is just a multicoated Series E).

In practice, I don't imagine it matters. They're all pretty good.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an Ai f/2 and a long-nose f/1.8. If you want to pixel peep, of my samples, the 1.8 has it by a very small margin wide open (this would be a 64" wide print so, what's the point...). I prefer the f/2 because it does this thing wide open that I like. In fact the f/2 Ai is so sweet and so cheap I'd buy one even if I didn't have a Nikon, sort of like some people did with Windows 95 because, you know, you'll need it eventually.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Like the others above, I too have not owned nor even tried the f/2 but have a newer 50mm f/1.8 AIS. It is an excellent lens. However, I find I like the 28mm f/2.8 AIS so much that the 50mm almost never even gets mounted to the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the 50mm 1.8 AF-D and love it. Never had the 2.0 but did have the 1.4. Both made great negatives.

The biggest reason I sold the 1.4 is the 1.8 has AF and I couldn't see any significant difference in a print.

Plain and simple, if my subjects are fairly close to me and mobile, as most are when I'm shooting 135 with a 50mm lens, then my old eyes greatly appreciate AF when I print.

My FM2 is feeling a bit neglected too as of late.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently picked up a nice clean 50mm f:1.8 AI with a Nikon body off Ebay and am confused by the term "long nose" can either Vilk or s-a explain the term "long nose" and how I can tell if I have one of these lenses. Don't really use a 50 that much, much prefer my 35mm f:2, but I am curious about the "long nose"

Shooter
    35mm
    http://www.destoutz.ch/lenses_standard_50mm_f2.html

last row. barrel length. it's either a pancake or a longnose. there were no AI pancakes so you've got a longnose. score

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin