Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,360   Online: 805

Shooter
    Large Format

Help me deceide on what to sell or trade or....

Ok, long story short. I shoot 35mm about 5 times a year, (my main format is 4x5) I have a Nikon 14-24 that I've used literally 6 times in the past 2 years. I use my 50mm 80% of the time, followed by my 70-200.

I've been thinking of trading or selling the 14-24 and picking up a 24-70 since most of my shooting is the the 50mm range, and the 24-70 will give me more options as far as focal length goes, and really the only time I switch from the 50 is when I want to use the 70-200, and that's usually at 70mm anyway for portraits.

What would you do? Hold onto it, just in case, or get rid of it and get the 24-70? Or should I just get a 24mm and a 85mm prime?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll get suggestions recommending all of the possibilities you mention because each one of us has specific individual tastes in lenses. Myself, I dislike zooms and would go with the 24mm and 85mm primes, two focal lengths I like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zooms are OK, however, most are bulky, heavy. I would rather shoot with a 24mm and a 85mm prime.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sell all zoom lenses, keep 50mm, and buy some cheap manual 24mm or 28mm wide and 105mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    What would you do? Hold onto it, just in case, or get rid of it and get the 24-70? Or should I just get a 24mm and a 85mm prime?
    How can anyone except you know what "just in case " means in your case. I really don't know how the opinions of even all 45,000 APUGers in this type of question can actually help you decide.

Only you can make the decision based on the facts as they apply to you and your feelings. If I give an informative answer to your question which gives you information that you don't already know can you tell me how to find happiness as it applies to me of course and not you?

On the other hand if you want to know the pros and cons of primes v zooms and under what circumstances you might need an ultra wide angle then OK but everything you have said suggests that you know most of the information

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    Please clear something up. Are you an actual photographer or someone who likes to play around with the equipment like a kid plays with box the present came in, not the present?
    Are you always a prick or do you just play one on the internet?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like primes also, go for the 24 and the 85(or maybe 105).

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can't go wrong with the 105. A great, classic lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    trade it in and use your 4x5 for serious wide-angle shots.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am happy with my 25 and 85 primes, though a 50 would be nice sometimes. I have loved the 24/25 focal length in 35 for a long time. It has the same vibe for me as 58/60 in 6x7 and 240/250 in 8x10 (120 in 4x5). Very useful (to me) FL. It will one day pull your favored body parts out of the fire.

I am not yet as familiar with the 85 but I am really quickly warming to it. It has enough "nose compression" to be flattering in most snap shot or street situations and still be short enough for some intimacy. If I were shooting portraits in a more formal sense, I would probably prefer a 105.
    Last edited by Jim Rice; 12-25-2012 at 08:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling, grammer and whiskey.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin