Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,210   Online: 781

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A sign of hope

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A sign of hope

On a early sunrise whale-watching cruise this morning here in Maui (here with the family for vacation) amongst the inevitable Nikon and Canon DSLRs people were using was a teenage girl, perhaps 17 yrs old or so, with an old Nikkormat SLR, I think an FT with a 50/1.8 Nikkor-H lens. I asked her which model body it was but she said, "Its a 35mm film camera", in an offhand way that sort of seemed to indicate she was sick of answering questions about her film camera. I asked her what film she was shooting. She said color. And then said the battery died so she has to wait until its light enough to shoot. ?? End of conversation as she and her friend moved on. Oh well. So much for what I hoped would be an interesting conversation but it was good seeing such a young person using a classic old SLR film camera.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    An old Nikkormat is more likely to be an FTN than an FT. The letter N is separated from the letters FT. There was no 50/1.8 Nikkor-H lens. By the time the 50/1.8 AI Nikkor came out Nikon was no longer using the letter desgnation to show how many elements the lens had. The last Nikkor H was the 50mm f/2. Following that lens were the HC, 'K' and AI models. All of the 50mm lenses slower than f/1.4 after that were f/1.8 models.

I often find myself the only one shooting film in a crowd but I have not been 17 for some time. I recently gave my 17 year old son an overhauled Minolta SRT 201 with a 50/1.7 MD Rokkor-X, an MR-9 adapter, a fresh 386 silver oxide battery and a nice strap. I gave him my only 201 with the split image screen. I think he's taking to it slowly.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    yeah i remember 17 year old girls...hopeless communicators untill they hit 30, then they just don`t stop...add smiley here

Shooter
    Large Format
    My daughter just turned 19. She owns an Olympus OM1 and 3 lenses. Occasionally she will use her cell phone for photos but she really doesn't care much for digital.

I recently photographed my grandson with my Hasselblad 500cm. He couldn't understand why he couldn't view the images on the back of my camera.

Most kids don't understand film because they have never been exposed to it. It's up to us to teach them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Most kids don't understand film because they have never been exposed to it
    very punny
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post

Most kids don't understand film because they have never been exposed to it. .
    Never exposed to it? Sounds like it is time we took more pictures of them in that case

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I recently photographed my grandson with my Hasselblad 500cm. He couldn't understand why he couldn't view the images on the back of my camera.
    I think I remember someone on APUG saying they had a stick-figure drawing in the "film reminder" slot on one of their cameras, for use in that scenario.

My son (now 4 1/2) is accustomed to having both film and d*g*t*l around, but doesn't seem to remember which cameras he can chimp on and which he can't. He keeps trying to look at the back of my Rolleiflex for the preview.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A sign of hope

Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    An old Nikkormat is more likely to be an FTN than an FT. The letter N is separated from the letters FT. There was no 50/1.8 Nikkor-H lens. By the time the 50/1.8 AI Nikkor came out Nikon was no longer using the letter desgnation to show how many elements the lens had. The last Nikkor H was the 50mm f/2. Following that lens were the HC, 'K' and AI models. All of the 50mm lenses slower than f/1.4 after that were f/1.8 models.

I often find myself the only one shooting film in a crowd but I have not been 17 for some time. I recently gave my 17 year old son an overhauled Minolta SRT 201 with a 50/1.7 MD Rokkor-X, an MR-9 adapter, a fresh 386 silver oxide battery and a nice strap. I gave him my only 201 with the split image screen. I think he's taking to it slowly.
    Yeah, was probably an -N and the f/2 lens.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    very punny
    Is that a chuckle or a groan?

Shooter
    35mm
    With youngsters and film cameras there are all levels of involvement. Sold my Mamiya C kit to a young lady that used it for studio work. She knew what she was doing and had access to a darkroom at a local liberal arts college. She does really fine work and can't be more than 30 years old.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin