Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,482   Posts: 1,571,163   Online: 1241

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

In praise of Nikon FM/FE/1/2/3

Anyone who has ever owned a Nikon FM/FE series camera knows that they are compact and essentially bombproof. My FE (circa 1981) was my first SLR. It has gone backpacking thru the wilds of the Rocky Mts, The Blue Ridge Mts, the Everglades and many sandy beaches. It has never failed, ever. I have owned an FM3a (I am an idiot for selling it). Yes they are a bit clunky compared to a Leica M, but these rigs are great street shooters as well as great with telephoto lens. I love traveling with my Fe combined with the CV pancake 40/2 and a Nikkor 105/2.5. Light and tough. Nuff said.

FE

Fe with 105

FM3a

Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an FE that is wonderful!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    If I don't get another F3 I'll likely be getting one of these guys as a second body. I've always, always heard great things about them.
    - Abram

Mamiya 7II / Hasselblad 500CM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got an FE and an FM, they are super cameras. Meter is shot on my FM2n right now and unfortunately it doesn't seem like it makes sense to get it fixed. So I'll be looking for another soon. Never had an FM3a but I'm looking for one at the right price in the coming year.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon minimized the size a bit - not like the OM's, but the weight differences would be noticeable when carrying around your neck awhile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My FE is the camera that I really started to get into photography with. I may have gravitated more toward rangefinders and medium format these days, but I still try to take my trusty old FE out for a spin from time to time. I have to keep fighting the urge to start stockpiling them whenever I see how cheap they go for these days!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sr44 View Post
    My FE is the camera that I really started to get into photography with. I may have gravitated more toward rangefinders and medium format these days, but I still try to take my trusty old FE out for a spin from time to time. I have to keep fighting the urge to start stockpiling them whenever I see how cheap they go for these days!
    Super ditto on that one.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an FE and an FM2. Great cameras. A friend of mine, years ago, bought two R series Leicas to bring on a round the world trip. I told her she would be better off with Nikons. Both of her Leicas broke down multiple times. I bet Nikons would have come through unscathed.

Shooter
    35mm
    My FM2n is my least used camera. My criticisms are mostly about the viewfinder:

a)The shutter speed display intrudes into the viewing area! I understand why Nikon did this; it's so the numbers are backlit. I just don't like it.
    b)The shutter speed, aperture, and meter indicators are each on seperate sides of the viewfinder. I'd much rather have them all on one side.
    c)The motordrive, while extremely comfortable in the hands, jams when misused. It jams on me all the time because I forget to keep the advance lever in the off position.

All that said, I have enormous respect for my FM2n because it appears to be indestructable. I've dropped mine several times, it's been kicked, left in the car for weeks at a time, left unprotected in the rain and snow. It doesn't give a f&$%. I've had to send my F2S for repair after it's been dropped but never my FM2n. It could just be luck, but I think most users have similar stories.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kivis View Post
    Anyone who has ever owned a Nikon FM/FE series camera knows that they are compact and essentially bombproof. My FE (circa 1981) was my first SLR. It has gone backpacking thru the wilds of the Rocky Mts, The Blue Ridge Mts, the Everglades and many sandy beaches. It has never failed, ever. I have owned an FM3a (I am an idiot for selling it). Yes they are a bit clunky compared to a Leica M, but these rigs are great street shooters as well as great with telephoto lens. I love traveling with my Fe combined with the CV pancake 40/2 and a Nikkor 105/2.5. Light and tough. Nuff said.
    I'm pretty certain that if I needed a 35mm body, I'd pick up a FM2n before a Leica M any day. I've done the Leica thing, and the experience wasn't as...special as I thought it was going to be.

I quickly fell in love with my FM2n. I shouldn't have sold it, but GAS was strong in me a few years back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin