Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,176   Online: 826

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Minolta x 700

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta x 700

Today bought my first analog camera i am so exited!!
    Any suggestions for a color film and b/w ?
    I can't wait to "play" !!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Asking what film to buy is like asking which camera to buy, everyone has an opinion!

Try different films and experiment. Have fun and learn what you like.

Congratulations on your X700. It's a great camera. I sold tons of them back in the 80's!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations. In no particular order - tri-x, tmax, velvia, provia, delta, portra all work great. Others will have their own favorites for different reasons. Some will say pick one and stick to it. Others will say try lots of different films. They're all right. Just get out and start shooting.

Btw, I really like my X-700, but prefer the X-570 by a smidgeon.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Excellent! The X-700 is a great little work horse and should serve you well. I still own mine and have had it since about 1995.

As stated above, film choice is one of those things where everyone has an opinion and quite frankly everyone is both right and wrong. My best advice, find one or two films you know you can optain easily like Kodak Tri-X or Ilford HP5. Maybe make one an ISO 100 film and the other an ISO 400. Then practice with only those two films for quite a while. You will learn a lot faster if you keep your film stock consistant. Once you gain some experience you can then branch out and try new things.

Shooter
    35mm
    Buy cheap colour film from a local store to practice on. This is your first go with film, no need to buy anything expensive or exotic. Get it developed and check to see the camera is working and that you know how to work it!

Later, when you're confident, choose one film and stick with it. Learn to develop yourself and have fun!
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Congratulations on your acquisition as it is a very capable camera and won the European Camera of the Year in 1981 - year of it's introduction. Good luck and learn it's characteristics as well as that of some films!

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you all for your advises!
    I had heard about this camera only good things,and when i shown it at the store and hold it to my hands i ve got the feeling ,that camera is handy and its what i was wanted!i felt it like my arm's extention! :P
    I will try some types of film,but as a begginer i have no idea of the types!
    I ve seen some color images that look so vintage and i like them but don't know the tipe of film! The same with b/w i ve seen images that i like the contrast the tonal range but i don't know where to look!!you know the type!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	61795

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are new to film, keep in mind that if you want to take pictures like the one you have posted just above, you will need to use filters -- most usually yellow, orange and red for black and white film, and a polarizing filter for color. There is plenty of information on the internet about the use of filters. Have fun -- you made a good choice with the X-700.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Great camera that X-700

I have two X-700's, one I bought new back in '85 I think it was or perhaps '82. It has been in the shop once in all these years. I bought the other one several years ago and had some things fixed on it. That one I bought from ebay. I like the fact that the camera has both an electronic cable release, and a manual cable release. I have an 8ft I think it is electronic release and can take self portraits without having to wait for a timer to release. Also, it has a PC flash connection that I can use with portrait lights with umbrellas. A lot of the new digitals don't even have those two connections. Also, it has stopped down metering which is something a lot of them don't have be they digital or film. I picked up a 100-200 zoom lense (Celtic) for $5.00 from a thrift shop, and have a 500 mm cat lense plus a 135, two 50mm and a 28mm wide angle. I get great shots from all but the 500 really needs a good tripod. I get a kick out of using the 500mm because I have photographed people 100 feet away and they look like I was 10 feet away. I will miss them when they go belly up, but it doesn't pay to put much in them now as you can get them pretty cheap. Have fun with yours whatever type of film you use. Ric.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Buy cheap colour film from a local store to practice on. This is your first go with film, no need to buy anything expensive or exotic. Get it developed and check to see the camera is working and that you know how to work it!

Later, when you're confident, choose one film and stick with it. Learn to develop yourself and have fun!
    I disagree.

Start with good quality film. Fuji or Kodak Color print film.

Cheap film may give poor results and mislead you into thinking you are off base.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin