Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,548   Online: 880

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format

Swiss Alpah 11 e?

Anyone with experiance with Swiss Alphas 11se, I have a friend who's wife's father just passed way who left her an Alpha 11 se. I have not seen one in decades, were espensive then, I thought Alpha was sort of cult camera, could not find much on the internet other than sold one ebay for a couple of grand a couple of months ago. The camera comes with 3 lens, 28, 50, and 100mms, not sure if they are 3rd party or not, they live in another state so I have not seen the camera in person. She may sell but my friend as a couple of digital camers and he s thinking shooting film. Any thoughts about an Alpha as a daily user, or should they take the money and run?

Shooter
    35mm
    The camera you are talking about is an Alpa, not an Alpha. They are all rather quirky. If you want the experience of an odd old fllm camera you might try it. If you just want to take pictures, get a Nikkormat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    The camera you are talking about is an Alpa, not an Alpha. They are all rather quirky. If you want the experience of an odd old fllm camera you might try it. If you just want to take pictures, get a Nikkormat.
    They're a superb camera, if you can get past the quirks.
    The Kern lenses the Alpa uses are to Leica lenses as Leica lenses are to Nikon lenses. - you won't find better at any price.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alpa, maybe the reason I did not see anything on the internet. Camera is not for me, I have Pentax, Konica, Sigma, just sold my T90 and FD lens.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone an idea where the name Alpa comes from? I thought it might be kind of toponym but the manufacturer was located in the Jura Mountains, not exactly the Alps.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It comes from Galatasaray footballer Alpay

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found some data on line, seems like Alpa had a nice lens line up, motor drive, lots of Macro gear. Wikipedia states that the lens were made in Germany, showed a set up with a motor drive and 500 to 800 zoom reflex, never seen a zoom reflex, did not know it was even possible. I think she should sell, getting repairs and finding lens will be a challenge.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Get a price and see if she wants to sell here. Heck, I'm interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    I found some data on line, seems like Alpa had a nice lens line up, motor drive, lots of Macro gear. Wikipedia states that the lens were made in Germany, showed a set up with a motor drive and 500 to 800 zoom reflex, never seen a zoom reflex, did not know it was even possible. I think she should sell, getting repairs and finding lens will be a challenge.
    Kern lenses, made at Aarau, Switzerland, for Alpa. http://www.alpareflex.com/Lenses/KernSwitars.htm

Lesson #4,337 in the book, "Why you shouldn't use wikipedia as a reference for anything".
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 12-28-2012 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Get a price and see if she wants to sell here. Heck, I'm interested.
    I will let her know, from I understand they are still in probate, although she is the only surving of 3 daughters due to house and and other assessts esate taxes will eat up a chunk. Her huband, my friend Harry will checking with auction sites, not ebay. I did see that a E11 sold on Ebay for over $2000 a couple of months ago, I have no idea what a set will bring, or if it would be better to price it out by the item. Who knows Harry might take a liking and want to keep it, if so he will pop up on APUG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin