Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,489   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

135 square frame.

I've been doing some clearing out at my mothers house and have found a lot of negatives on both 120 and 135 film. But some of the 35nm negatives are square. Has anyone else ever come across this? And if so, what sort of camera would have been used to take them?

Chris B.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Robot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Rusbarsky View Post
    Robot?
    Yes, the Robot camera. Can't think of any other that has a square frame.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Could it be 126 ? I remember 126 being the same width as 135 but square frame.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm thinking slowly today. Also the Zeiss Tenax and Taxona

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Could it be 126 ? I remember 126 being the same width as 135 but square frame.
    Correct, 126 film is 35mm wide, but can be distinguised by having a single perforation per frame, also preprinted numbers and borders on each frame. The negative size is slightly larger than 35mm, not having the usual 35mm perforations on both edges. (about 28mm square, compared with 24mm square for a Robot-type negative).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Beside Robot there are also Taxona and Tenax cameras, and newest diana mini that makes 24x24 mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agfa made quite a few 35mm cameras that took square frame images and they were common in the UK. The Agfa Karat and later Rapid systems used their own type of cassette and standard 35m film went from one into another in the camera, very quick to load, no rewinding. This probably made Kodak think about revamping 828 as 126 Instamatic to offer similar convenience.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Agfa Rapid cassettes typically took 24x24mm images as the Karat system had been re-animated and the new cameras had been designed to conquer the Kodak Instamatic system.
    Of course those cassettes, as type 135, could be used for any format up to 24mm high.

Other camera manufacturers took over this system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both 1930s/40s Tenax cameras produced 24x24 negatives (1920s Tenaxes were 60x45 plate cameras and the 1960s Tenaxes were 24x36). The 1930s/40s Tenaxes are a delight to use with their two levers to fire the shutter and then wind on the film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin