Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,699   Online: 709

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Topcon RE-2 and 58mm 1.8 lens. Worth bothering with?

Hi.

I have found my old Toocon RE-2 and 58mm 1:1.8 Topcor lens in a cupboard. It seems to be in working orde, despite not bring used for at least 20 years.

Question is, is this a decent camera worth persevering with? If so, what other lenses are worth looking for? I generally shoot between 35 to 50mm on rangefinders. What kind of prices should I expect to pay?

Also, are batteries still available for the meter?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The large and medium format Topcor/Topcon lenses are excellent performers. Right up there with the best Japanese lenses. I suspect the 35mm Topcor lenses are also great, but have never used them. Topcon made 35mm SLRs before both Nikon and Cannon.
    I'd use it if I had it. There is a Topcon web site out there somewhere listing the lenses etc.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 12-29-2012 at 12:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    My all time favourite 35mm camera!

And the 35 is awesome!!

Batteried are still available, but of course only runs the lightmeter..

OTher lenses worth looking out for?

All I'd say.. (58 F1.4 is great)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh no, not worth bothering with at all.
    Nice guy I that I am, I'll get it out of your way at no charge. Just send it to me.

Seriously, get a CLA (clean, lube and adjust) done on it, and rediscover why those machines are still so highly respected.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Batteried are still available, but of course only runs the lightmeter..

No mercuric oxide batteries are made any longer, worldwide!

It is possible to get Wein air cells, which output 1.35v constant voltage, but which starts to expire -- even without use -- once the air seal is broken (like all hearing aid batteries). Another alternative is to get the MR-9 adapter http://www.criscam.com/mercury_battery_adapters.php which permits you to insert a silver oxide cell and which drops voltage to constant 1.35v.

I have four Topcon Super D (RE Super) bodies and a D-1 (RE-2), and tested them all for function within the past couple of months by running B&W film thru them, and the shutter speeds are accurate on all of them (although the meter is not accurate on two Super D or the D-1).
    Last edited by wiltw; 12-29-2012 at 02:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own a couple of Topcons--A DM Super and an RE Super (marketed in US under Topcon Super D. The model you have, the RE2 is the model without interchangeable finder and has the Copal vertical traveling metal shutter. It's certainly a keeper. Lenses do come up on Ebay occasionally and prices go all over the place but should be under $100 for the more common lenses. Try Essex camera in NJ for the CLA. For the batteries, the Wein-Cell zinc-air battery are replacements for the PX13 and 625 used for these older cameras and these are available though Freestyle or BH Photo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That 58/1.8 is a seriously sharp lens. The mount is physically interchangeable with the Exakta mount, but IIRC you don't get auto-aperture on Exakta lenses---you have to stop them down manually, or you can do what everyone else does, forget to stop them down at all and overexpose by 37 stops. :-) In all seriousness, there are a lot of interesting and cheap lenses for the Exakta mount out there, and a Topcon makes a nice platform for experimenting with them.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    That 58/1.8 is a seriously sharp lens. The mount is physically interchangeable with the Exakta mount, but IIRC you don't get auto-aperture on Exakta lenses---you have to stop them down manually, or you can do what everyone else does, forget to stop them down at all and overexpose by 37 stops. :-) In all seriousness, there are a lot of interesting and cheap lenses for the Exakta mount out there, and a Topcon makes a nice platform for experimenting with them.

-NT
    right - but if you can get the original lenses as seen in the attachments, who want to search for others..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails topcon-300-2.8-2.jpg   topcon-25mm.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    right - but if you can get the original lenses as seen in the attachments, who want to search for others..
    Forget the lens---what is that giant thing glommed to the back of the camera? Some kind of rollfilm adapter? (But the image gate is still only 24x36, so what would be the point?)

If I had a lens like that 300mm lurking in my house, I'd want a team of friendly little Exakta lenses to defend me from it in case it went rogue some night and came after me! :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Forget the lens---what is that giant thing glommed to the back of the camera? Some kind of rollfilm adapter? (But the image gate is still only 24x36, so what would be the point?)
    -NT
    250 exposure back. They've been made for many cameras including, in alphabetical order, Canons, Leicas and Nikons. The back holds a lot of perfectly normal 35 mm film.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin