Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,205   Online: 932

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Hexar AF is a superb camera, and for the quality of the photos it produces, it is a bargain. The date feature can be turned off, or you can simply remove the battery from the back. I have a couple of Hexars with data backs, and have had no trouble turning them off.

I've collected a few Hexars, black, Silver, and Rhodium. The finish is not important, but I can't pass up a Hexar if I find a good deal on one.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both the Black version with stealth mode and the later silver version. I know nothing of date imprint, i guess that's another silver version. If you shoot too close to an object you get the infamous EEE and the camera locks up. All you have to do is remove the battery, put it back and everything is ok. I've shot through glass but again, if you get too close you jam up the machine. The Hexar AF is a great camera for street photography. It is quiet and very fast. I got both of mine before the prices spiked. Enjoy yours.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    I know nothing about hexars, but a date back simply imprint the date and roll number on the leader of the film.
    The typical 35mm data-back imprints data (typically the date) in a corner of the image, in some cases on the spacing between frames, by exposing through the base of the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sangetsu: Ok, definitely will try that out when it gets here (based on the shipment tracking info, I'm guessing Monday, which will be right after a nice, mild weekend. Oh well).

Taslim Abdani: Oh yes, thank you. I remember reading about that long ago, but completely forgot. Thanks for reminding me. So taking out the battery and putting it back in won't mess with the auto film advance or the exposures left countdown?

AgX: Yeah, which is why I'd prefer it off.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would be very, very surprised if with such a camera the date function would not be swichable.
    If not, there would be in principle several ways to deactivate date-exposing.

The body of the Hexar AF has two contacts beneath the lower film rail. I assume these to activate the date exposure. Isolating them, with tape, would be my first attempt to deactivate the date feature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you haven't stumbled into the information, be aware that the stealth mode can be added to models not featuring the mode. There is a sequence of button pressing (not intuitive and you need the script to follow). It worked perfectly on mine and the mode was handy on a couple of occasions. I was always happy with the photographic results. Initial orientation time spent is important as the control systems are somewhat unique. I found that I had time gaps in using the camera for the duties I used it for and always felt a bit fumbly when I'd pick it up again.... I let it go in a weak moment and now regret not having it.

I may have a copy of the stealth script (once the body is programed, the mode is always there to select) so if you don't find it on the net, let me know and I'll do some digging here.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, my Silver Hexar arrived about 40 mins ago. I do have some questions, if anybody would be able to help me.

First and foremost, does anybody have a link to the Silver version's manual? All I could find was the Black model on butkus. It looks like the two are pretty similar, so I'm guessing the Black versions manual should work fine. However, that manual is a little hard to follow, so I'm a little lost. I tried the Photo.net Hexar page, and still have some unanswered questions.

Ok, I see on the film door, on the outside, is what I presume is for setting the date imprint back. When I press the three buttons, labelled mode, select, and set. Nothing appears. The little screen for it is completely blank. Does this mean I shouldn't have to worry about this? I'm guessing the previous owner took out the battery somehow for it.

Next...I guess you have to set exposure compensation each time you turn on the camera? Each time I turn it on, the top screen turns to 0.0.

Oh, and what does the lit red dot on the front of the camera mean?
    Last edited by h.v.; 01-09-2013 at 11:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: figured some of my questions out myself

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PM Sent re: having a manual for you.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are a couple of jpegs that I found of the quick guide. I'll post in case they're of use to others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HexarAF1.jpg   HexarAF2.jpg  
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format

Silent Mode Script

Here's a copy of the routine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails silent.JPG  
    Craig Schroeder

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin