Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,641   Online: 756

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Questions about Hexar AF Silver

So I might be getting my hands on a Konica Hexar (AF) Silver shortly. The description for the camera says "auto date". I've tried researching this, but everything that comes up is for the more common Black model. Even online camera models aren't for the Silver version, I've found. I just want to make sure, before I take the plunge, that "auto date back" can be turned off? If not, is the date marking on the back of the photo, or between frames, or is it right on the photo, like a tacky '80s point and shoot time stamp?

For those who have used the camera, how do you find the controls? I've heard they can be a bit awkward, but I'm sure I could get used to it.

A while back, I also read that the Hexar can have trouble focusing through glass/windows. I've tried to locate where I read this, but I can't find it. I think it was on RFF. Anyways, can anyone confirm this to be an issue? I've seen some, not many, photos focused fine through windows, so I'm not sure. I recall reading it had something to do with the camera's unique AF system.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know nothing about hexars, but a date back simply imprint the date and roll number on the leader of the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really? I didn't know that. Still would be helpful to know if it could be turned off as I wouldn't really have use for that. What date would it use? The date the last exposure or the first exposure is taken?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure about the auto date back but I believe that you can just press the mode button a number of times it'll turn off the imprinting. Otherwise, I've been using the Hexar extensively for a while, and once you acclimate to the controls it's quite easy to operate. It gets a bit fussy from time to time but I find that's only the case in extremely close range.
    Last edited by agphotography; 12-30-2012 at 02:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my canon 1V there is a way to set the date and roll number, but I've never bothered to figure it out. The imprint is on a section of film with no images on it, so it usually gets cut off and thrown away anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 1V has a slightly different imprinting system, it is actually really handy because it'll put some useful info in the film leader, that was one of the things I really liked about my 1V. I miss that camera sometimes.

Ironically, I sold it to buy my Hexar
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might be selling mine soon if your interested. It's a full setup with rechargeable batteries AND the charger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys for your help.

So, something interesting just came up. If anyone can help within the next little while, that'd be great. I've watched these Hexar's for a while at various places only to see them snatched up, so I want to decide quick before someone snatches another one up.

All along I'd been looking at the one listed on KEH. I'm new to ordering from the States, so I naturally e-mailed them a few questions. The condition is EX+ and for $499.99, which is cheaper than other places I've seen it, particularly for such good condition. This is where I was planning on buying from.

However, if I were to order from one of the big U.S. retailers with used stock, I always would have preferred using B&H, who can calculate everything - duties, etc. - right up front so you don't get smacked with hidden fees. For the longest time, they never had anything, then more recently they got a Hexar RF in stock. I just decided to check, just in case, if B&H had anything today. As luck would have it, they do. It too is a Silver model. It is cheaper, at $489.95 and it includes the flash kit. The only thing is that it's rating is 8+, which is still high but not as high as the one on KEH's website.

So what are peoples experiences with eithers rating system? Should I just go ahead with the B&H one, which is cheaper, includes more, and still has a pretty damn good rating or would KEH work out better for me?

Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    I'm not sure about the auto date back but I believe that you can just press the mode button a number of times it'll turn off the imprinting. Otherwise, I've been using the Hexar extensively for a while, and once you acclimate to the controls it's quite easy to operate. It gets a bit fussy from time to time but I find that's only the case in extremely close range.
    Yeah, that's what I read for the Black versions that had auto date, but wasn't sure if it'd be the same for the Silver version. I don't really care so long as the date imprint doesn't go on the frame, that is what I was worried about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I never hesitate to buy from KEH. They have always done right by me and have always been very conservative with their ratings. I just bought a Nikon 50mm lens from them that was rated as Bargain grade, when I got it, you'd be hard pressed to tell it from a brand new one. My own Hexar came from the RFF forums, but the nice thing with buying from KEH is that you get a 6 month warranty in case something goes wrong.

Only you can decide how big of a deal the flash is. I just got mine (from KEH no less) about a month ago but I've yet to actually use it. I've done a few snaps here and there, but more often than not it just stays in the bag.
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I went with B&H. I don't have to worry about unknown customs charges, it's cheaper, still good condition, comes with flash, plus I was able to buy some film that is hard to come by locally for dirt cheap. Plus I have 90 days in case something goes wrong. Very excited for the camera's arrival. Kinda hoping it'll arrive by Friday (it shipped Monday) so I can use it this weekend.

I'd still love to hear people's thoughts on the camera if they have anything to add .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin