Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,177   Online: 874

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    I'm really enjoying the nikon offerings for 35mm lately and I'm quite fond of my F3. I want to eventually get a second body and I'm leaning towards an F4 body (with the MB-20). At present I only have MF lenses, and I don't intend to buy any AF lenses as I don't use Nikons for my DSLRs. Is it foolish to buy an F4 for only manual focus purposes? I know there is a K screen available but I understand its quite elusive and when it shows up it commands a stiff premium.

Would the smarter decision be to just get another F3 or an FM2n?
    I don't know because I don't have one. I have the F3 and the F5. I heard it's the best manual focus Nikon camera out there but I failed to see why so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Would you buy an F4 if you only use MF lenses?

What exactly is it about the F4 features that attracts you vs your F3? I've shot FE2 and FM2 bodies for a long time and last year got an F3 (no longer have the FE2). On a whim I got an F2 with a DP-1 a few months ago and love it so much more than the others I might just keep the F3 and F2. To me the F2 is the "Leica" of the Nikon bodies in terms of feel and overall quality of workmanship. The F4 and F3 seem fairly close in specs especially if only using with MF glass, maybe a solid all mechanical F2 might be a good second body? Just throwing it out there...
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 01-01-2013 at 05:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I'm open to that too, but I also quite like the sound of 1/8000 shutter and 1/250 flash sync speed. As well as having additional metering modes. They are handy.

Though I wouldn't complain if I came across an F2 with a meter less prism for a good price.
    - Abram

Mamiya 7II / Hasselblad 500CM

Shooter
    35mm
    I prefer the F4 to the F3. I only use manual focus lenses, with the exception of a lone 50mm f/1.8D. I'm normally able to manually focus just fine with my preferred E screen, but if I get stumped, the electronic rangefinder works in surprisingly low light. The three LEDs of the electronic rangefinder bother some people; I like it fine. The backlit display of the F3 is a joke; the F4's is much better.

My F4 has the MB-20 grip; alkaline batteries don't seem to last long; lithiums are better. I find the hand grip very comfortable, but again, there are those that hate it. I'd say that the build quality of the F4 is inferior to the F3; it uses more plastic. Personally, this makes me less afraid to use it in the rain and dirt.

LTD_4224_001 by LJ Slater, on Flickr

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I think it's settled then, when I'm ready I'll pick up an F4 with the MB-20 grip. So it's possible to get a K screen for the F3 and fit it into the F4? Will it affect any of the metering patterns?
    - Abram

Shooter
    35mm
    No, it should not.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I personally wouldn't but it's more due to its size than its features. When I first saw one I found it hard to believe that it wasn't medium format and only produced postage stamp sized 35mm negatives.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    To be honest, unless I switch to Nikon for my DSLRs (I'm a Canon EOS shooter with a handful of choice primes) I don't see myself buying any nikon AF lenses (maybe 1 or two more AI/AIS primes). I had given some thought to getting another EOS 1n again (also had the 1V in the past which I loved) but I never really bonded with the 1n couldn't tell you why.
    If you're getting a modern camera then you should get the 1V instead . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    I use Nikon N2020, N8008S, N90S and F90X cameras mostly with manual focus lenses. The focus confirmation with the standard screen or with an E (grid) screen are easier for me to use than any microprism, split image or combination screen. This is especially true for macro, telephoto or zoom shooting. Even the lowest spec model, the N2020, has many features and works nicely with the manual focus lenses. When you get up to the N90S/F90X there are certain modes which are not usable with manual focus lenses.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I've had the 1V before but they're still expensive I bought and sold mine for $700. I can get an F4 (or whichever body) for well under $200. Anything more expensive isn't on my radar.
    - Abram

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin