Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,937   Online: 989

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Would you buy an F4 if you only use MF lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    Hmm, came across an F2A in nice shape for about the same price I was expecting to pay for the F4. I'm not quite ready to buy just yet (later this month) but that had me wondering...
    Eh? What was I saying?? It's a sign! :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    You have an F3. How about a different flavor altogether such as the FM2N? Otherwise I'd need a definitive reason to lug an F4. In fact, make it an F100 instead. But for general shooting?

I shoot a raft of Nikons. My shortlist includes the light, compact and reliable FM2N.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do like the FM2n & it would probably meet my needs just fine, but there are two things going against it for me.

1) its small size (I have large hands)
    2) it's 92% viewfinder coverage (I rather like the 100% coverage in my F3)
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I want an F4s or an F4e (mb23?) so badly it kills me but it seems like every time I find one on the net they are gone before I can say I will take it , or I am broke. More often than not as of late I am broke, and I have more pressing things to spend my money on a lot of the time as we are often at the hospital when the spouse is getting chemo. Eventually I hope to get one within my budget. The F4 was the Ferrari of 35mm cameras that I only dreamed about back in the 80's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A new F4s user here. What a magnificent SLR camera it is! I think I'll need the smaller battery grip and definitely the waist level finder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My primary Nikon is an F3, but I bought a used F4 only because if you want to use any of Nikon's current Tilt-Shift lenses (they are manual focus), the F4 is the lowest number "F"-camera that will work with them. They are manual focus lenses, but have electronic diaphragms that won't work with an F3, F2 etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a good point, and Tilt/Shift lenses are on my list, but I would be purchasing Canon's versions

The FM2n threw an interesting wrench into the mix as I kind of like the battery independence aspect of it and 1/4000 shutter speed would be sufficient enough. I also keep hearing that its darn near indestructible, I like that too.

As I mentioned though, I don't think the size / weight of the F4 with the smaller MB-20 grip would be an issue, I'm 6'3" and I've got reasonably large hands, I'm also fairly accustomed to large & heavy cameras. Not that I prefer that, I'm just used to it.

When I had my 1n and 1V I had all of the grip options for them, but I found I definitely preferred the smallest battery grip as the other options just added too much weight. Are the dimensions of the F4 similar to the 1N or 1V?

I guess at this point it's between the F4 and the FM2n, I would need to find a K or P screen for the f4 most likely and the FM2 would just work.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions..
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Would you buy an F4 if you only use MF lenses?

Buy an FM2n, F4 and F2. Use for 3 months. Sell the two you like least for probably about what you paid.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Buy an FM2n, F4 and F2. Use for 3 months. Sell the two you like least for probably about what you paid.
    Caution! You may like all of them.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I personally wouldn't but it's more due to its size than its features. When I first saw one I found it hard to believe that it wasn't medium format and only produced postage stamp sized 35mm negatives.

Steve.
    +1. I won an F4S body on ebay sometime back (two years, perhaps); I had bid on a whim, and somehow managed to win the thing (around $100, give or take, if memory serves). From the start, I was impressed with the camera's metering capabilities, viewfinder display (especially its brightness), the built-in diopter adjustments, its multi-mode capabilities (far more than I would ever need, but still impressive) and the quickness of the camera's motor drive (I often shoot wildlife photography). However, I could not get passed the awful ergonomics of the F4S: the thing is big, chunky and awkward. Holding it in my hands, I thought the F4S to be the most gratuitiously oversized piece of 35mm equipment I had ever used. Needless to say, the beast did nor stay in my possession for long: after one roll of film, I gave it away to my sister - also a Nikon shooter. Her reaction was near the same as mine (she shoots with a pair of F3HPs and a D700); one roll and then up on the shelf. A few weeks later while visiting her, she returned the camera with a "thanks, but...". I took the thing back - with more that a little hesitation - stuck it up on the shelf. A month or so later, seeking a new home for the camera, I gave the thing to my nephew (F2A and F3, no digital - a very enlightened 18 year old!) who accepted the thing with more than modicum of hesitation ("soo...this is an F4...thanks..."). While he and I have been out shooting together in Banff at least half a dozen times since I gave him the F4S, the camera has yet to put in an appearance. When asked about it, he told me he keeps the camera as a "spare." Given that he shoots with two of the most reliable cameras ever built, I assume that this particular F4S has been consigned to a lengthy stay in camera purgatory...
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin