Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,976   Online: 834

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hahaha logically that makes sense, but I don't really have the budget to pull that one off (still saving up for my next Hasselblad lens as well )

Edit: Bradley, what did you find ergonomically awkward about the camera?Would it be remedied by me having larger hands? I am not a fan of uncomfortable cameras, but that's the first I'd really read about the F4 being uncomfortable.
    - Abram

Mamiya 7II / Hasselblad 500CM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Would you buy an F4 if you only use MF lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    Hahaha logically that makes sense, but I don't really have the budget to pull that one off (still saving up for my next Hasselblad lens as well )

Edit: Bradley, what did you find ergonomically awkward about the camera?Would it be remedied by me having larger hands? I am not a fan of uncomfortable cameras, but that's the first I'd really read about the F4 being uncomfortable.
    Well my take on all our comments is that the size seems not a major concern to you then get the F4. Buy at a good price and likely you can sell at little if any loss if you do not like it and get a nice FM2n.

I talk like I'll sell my FM2 but its got great sentimental value (was the first Nikon model I used way back when), its got such an awesome rep, I love using it (even though I now prefer the F3 and F2) but what little I'd get for it these does I might as well just keep it. Plus mine's one of the more uncommon honey-comb titanium shutter models. So I tell myself its rare, don't sell! Ha.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Would you buy an F4 if you only use MF lenses?

I have small hands, and I like my F4S because it's so large I can hold it steady for longer speeds, but I feel like I'm Weegee with a Crown Graphic! Despite the weight and size, though, in feel it's rather comfortable to hold. I think most of the bad-ergonomics talk I'm reading about has to do with its having a button or dial or switch for everything: no menus, no LCD screen on the top like other AF cameras I've seen.

And if it's dark and stormy outside, I can snuggle up with it like it's a teddy bear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two issues, Sir: Firstly, the camera seems a little too wide (I make this remark as some one who grew up using Nikon F2A/F2AS/F3HP cameras); and, Secondly, holding the camera for vertical shooting just feels "odd." Here, I am not sure if it has to do with the particular design of the drive - the long groove in the motor drive itself or, perhaps a disproportionate amount of the cameras weight on its right?

That said, you may well be ok if you are one of those fortunate enough to have been blessed with "big mitts" (I wasn't!). My usual advice to folks considering the F4 is to have a look at the F5 (great build quality, fast drive if/when you need it, multi-mode/multi-metering capabilities, bright and accurate viewfinder, built-in diopter adjustments and possibly the best ergonomics of any 35mm camera to date). The prices, of course, can be somewhat - but not always - higher. Two of my bodies were picked up on ebay for $250 and $292.50 respectively. If you remain ambivalent about a second body, there is, of course the F2 or F3 option (you already showed good judgement in selecting an F3!).
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have shot with an F5 before (borrowed a friends once) and it was highly impressive but it is far more than I'm looking for. The F4 with the small grip is about as big as I'd want to go in all honesty.

I do like small cameras its just that sometimes they are ergonomicaly awkward for me. Even the F3 feels a little small in my hands sometimes.
    - Abram

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just measured my F4S to kinda give you an idea of how big it is. It is 6-1/2" wide, 5-1/4" tall including the prism, and 2-1/4" thick at the thickest point, which is the grip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    I just measured my F4S to kinda give you an idea of how big it is. It is 6-1/2" wide, 5-1/4" tall including the prism, and 2-1/4" thick at the thickest point, which is the grip.
    Perhaps more a potential weapon than a photographic tool?
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    That doesn't sound too bad. With the MB-20 it'll be practically the same size as my 5DmkIIs. I think I'm at a middle of the road point between the two cameras. I like the sound of both but I suppose I'll buy one and if I don't like it, sell it and buy the other.
    - Abram

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually, there seems to be a very compelling reason to get the F4 to use with older lenses according to Photography in Malaysia F4 review as it states the following.
    Lense compatibility issue - the best kept secret
    To many old time photographers (and all those cost conscious smart ass photographers .. hehe) - one of the most attractive feature in the F4 is its linkage to bridge two generations as a MF and AF Nikons - as no other Nikon models offers you with such a GREAT system compatibility. It is the ONLY professional grade Nikon that permits your to enjoy Matrix metering with Ai Nikkor lenses - probably well over hundreds of them in different lens types and versions ! Similarly, it is also the sole AF Nikon that permits the use of any non-cpu Nikkor lense while all three metering patterns (spot, matrix, center-weighted) can still be able to retain full functionality, great stuff, huh ?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    FWIW, the F6 is amazing with MF lenses, it's practically all I use.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin