Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,002   Online: 1009

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    That doesn't sound too bad. With the MB-20 it'll be practically the same size as my 5DmkIIs.
    From Wikipedia:
    F4 MB-20 1988 4.0 frame/s 4 AA most compact
    F4S MB-21 1988 5.7 frame/s 6 AA vertical shutter release
    F4E MB-23 1991 5.7 frame/s 6 AA or Ni-Cd (MN-20) largest pack, vertical shutter release, 250 exposure Bulk Film Multi-Control Back MF-24 terminal

So with the MB-20, it would actually be a bit smaller than the measurements I quoted from my F4S (with MB-21).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've shot with my F4s for years, and it is the favorite of any camera I have ever used. It rarely sees any AF lenses (occasionally the 80-200ED 2.8), 90% of the time it's ai or ais. The viewfinder is 100%, big and bright. I have a half dozen or so different screens, and this past summer treated myself to a DA-20 prism ( LN w/original box, packaging and papers- $250).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7378-2sm.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	62168
    F4s w/DA-20 and Nikkor 180 2.8ED ais
    Let's go shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool guys thank you all so much for the ideas and information. I'm definitely getting one of the two in the next month or two. Someone made a good point to me that the FM2 should be fine in my hands because I get along fine with my Hexar AF. I'm still kind of torn between them but I have to consider the fact I'd have to track down a focusing screen for the F4 if I go that route. Can anyone 100% confirm that a K screen from an F3 will work properly in the F4?
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Would you buy an F4 if you only use MF lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    Can anyone 100% confirm that a K screen from an F3 will work properly in the F4?
    This page discusses this in one of the sidebars. Does not seem like it to me.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...eens/index.htm
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the F4 is a wonderful camera but it's so big & heavy for a 35mm. There are lighter medium format cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    I think the F4 is a wonderful camera but it's so big & heavy for a 35mm. There are lighter medium format cameras.
    It makes a great defensive weapon.

Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Throughout my career, I bought brand new and used the heck out of the F3HP, F4S and F5 and out of all of them I loved the F4S the most as it indeed did matrix metering with AIS glass and paired with an SB-25 was just fantastic for flash. I also loved the controls and manual film rewind option. It also did fairly well with AF-S lenses.

At one time I had two, one was a huge F4E and I even had an underwater housing for it, stellar camera, but I hardly shoot 35mm anymore.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    This page discusses this in one of the sidebars. Does not seem like it to me.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...eens/index.htm
    Rich,
    sorry, but I can't see on that page where it says you can't use F3 screens on the F4. It refers F4 screens on a F3 and F5 screens on the F4. If you would like to quote the sentence/s that refer to the F3 screens, I would appreciate that.
    I never used any other screen on my F4s as I never needed them, but I remember to read elsewhere that you need to remove the F3 screen from its mount and use a F4 mount to be able to use them.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Rich, I've discussed (spouted, nay, hollered even) about the F3 screens in F4 bodies. It can be done ONLY if you dismantle the F3 screen from the frame and place it As Is into the empty F4 screen frame. Its the imperceptible differences in the frames that Will cause focus errors. BUT IMO unless you absolute need a screen that you either can't find or something that wasn't offered (the H series) its best to stick with the F4 screens. The Red Dot F3 screens use nearly the same if not the exact screen material preparation so the brightness is the same or nearly so. The Non-Red Dot F3 screens are noticeably less bright, but do have a nice contrast. Its my understanding that Nikon changed to the Red Dot design to Upgrade the F3 during the mid to late 1980's as the F4 and N8008 came out with the improved screens. Both the F3 and F4 have screens that are the same designations except the F4 does not have the H series, again its my understanding that the Matrix metering (using the DP-20) had problems with the full microprism surface. Pity tho', the H series was my Secret Weapon to sharp low light sports photos in the 80's and 90's at the newspaper I worked at. Now I must have 25 screens for the F3 and F4! The B, the J and the U get the most use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kreeger View Post
    Owned one a year ago. Wanted to always have one. Ultimately it is way to heavy for my taste, wish it weighed 1/2 of what it does. Sold it to another happy Nikon guy.
    Did the same thing, got an F6 instead to replace my old F4

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin