Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,220   Online: 915

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Would you buy an F4 if you only use MF lenses?

I'm really enjoying the nikon offerings for 35mm lately and I'm quite fond of my F3. I want to eventually get a second body and I'm leaning towards an F4 body (with the MB-20). At present I only have MF lenses, and I don't intend to buy any AF lenses as I don't use Nikons for my DSLRs. Is it foolish to buy an F4 for only manual focus purposes? I know there is a K screen available but I understand its quite elusive and when it shows up it commands a stiff premium.

Would the smarter decision be to just get another F3 or an FM2n?
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F4 is an excellent camera to use with manual lenses. I have four of them and not a single AF lens. They take any manual lens and have a better meter than the F3.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes. A great MF body. I have 4 as well and 4 F3's.
    The focus indicators are quite useful in lower light

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an F4 that I use with my MF lenses. The F3 "K" screen will work with the F4. They are easy to find. You just change the frame with an F4 screen frame. That is what I did and it works perfectly. Also if you ever do decide thatyou want to pick up a AF lens you are set.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    F4s are great versatile cameras; lots of metering options, nice motor advance, excellent MF indicators, so-so but workable AF, high sync speed. The F3 sort of does what it does. I like having both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Absolutely. I've heard it said that the F4 was Nikon's best manual focus camera. I had two for a while, and (for what it's worth) I was never disappointed in its AF performance. Rock-solid design.

Its negatives are its thickness, weight, and all the damned interlocks on the thing. You have to learn its secret handshake in order to rewind the film. Would I buy one again when finances improve? Yew betcha.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Owned one a year ago. Wanted to always have one. Ultimately it is way to heavy for my taste, wish it weighed 1/2 of what it does. Sold it to another happy Nikon guy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both F4Ss and F3HPs and while I absolutely love my F4S I tend to use the F3's more. I haven't analysed it but quick thought says that my old glass is a lot easier to use on the F3. But I love the spot metering on the F4 and the viewfinder diopter used to be a life saver for me when my cataracts were active.

However if you're going to add AF lenses to your bag, an F4 might prove handier in the long run. Both are unbelievably cheap right now.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a 35mm camera, the F4 is a pretty big camera. If you add the MD-21 it's even bigger. There are plenty of advantages but it won't be portability.

Because I primarily use AI lenses I found a K screen on the net and it makes it a little easier to focus than using the camera's focus leds.

For what it's worth, I like my F3HP much better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To be honest, unless I switch to Nikon for my DSLRs (I'm a Canon EOS shooter with a handful of choice primes) I don't see myself buying any nikon AF lenses (maybe 1 or two more AI/AIS primes). I had given some thought to getting another EOS 1n again (also had the 1V in the past which I loved) but I never really bonded with the 1n couldn't tell you why.
    Last edited by agphotography; 01-01-2013 at 03:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin