Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,220   Online: 674

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I posted this question on a Leica forum today and got a reply almost instantly, that I would like to share with you:
    "Hello Toadmen,
    Welcome to the Forum. You have a 2nd optical version, 1st mechanical version lens. A preferred combination. In 1962 some, but not all, lenses had begun to have their actual focal lengths engraved on the lens barrel. Many stated focal lengths of many lenses of many manufacturers (not just Leitz/Leica) are approximate. Engraving began @ Leitz around 1960 but was not universal until somewhat later. Lenses shorter than 50mm do not have their actual focal lengths engraved. The system of engraving was to write the LAST digit (ie: the "0" of "50") + the 1/10th of a millimeter of the ACTUAL focal length w/o the decimal .
    Example:
    50.0 = 00
    51.3 = 13
    49.7 = 97
    Enjoy your lens.
    Best Regards, Michael
    "

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help: identifying my Leica-M 50 Summilux lens (Silver, 1962) and what to do with it??

Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    I posted this question on a Leica forum today and got a reply almost instantly, that I would like to share with you:
    "Hello Toadmen,
    Welcome to the Forum. You have a 2nd optical version, 1st mechanical version lens. A preferred combination. In 1962 some, but not all, lenses had begun to have their actual focal lengths engraved on the lens barrel. Many stated focal lengths of many lenses of many manufacturers (not just Leitz/Leica) are approximate. Engraving began @ Leitz around 1960 but was not universal until somewhat later. Lenses shorter than 50mm do not have their actual focal lengths engraved. The system of engraving was to write the LAST digit (ie: the "0" of "50") + the 1/10th of a millimeter of the ACTUAL focal length w/o the decimal .
    Example:
    50.0 = 00
    51.3 = 13
    49.7 = 97
    Enjoy your lens.
    Best Regards, Michael
    "
    Well, there you go. :-).

Still thinking of trying the NEX-6 with adapters?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
    1673 rolls of it, by my approximation. That's a mighty big pile.
    And the wonderful part is that if you get bored with a rangefinder you can just use the film in any other 35mm body you like the look of!
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wait a tick......you mean I can empty my freezer of all the film I have stored up and have enough money to get a Leica M-Monochrome??? Wow....now you got me thinking..... :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Everyone who sells a Summicron or Summilux regrets it sooner or later.... There is something about wide aperture Leitz lenses that appeals to the soul. If left to mature, this disease spreads to Summitars and Xenons and the next thing you know you are craving Thambars. Then large format hits and you want Cookes and Petzvals. I have seen this syndrome in my medical practice and there is no cure, but there is GAS therapy

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh and keep the 90 too.

Couple days ago a great heron (I think, I'm not a birder so don't know) landed on a tree in my backyard. I don't use the 90 very often but needed it then and there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin