Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,917   Posts: 1,556,416   Online: 1154

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

F-1 New advice sought!!

Hi everyone!
    I need some advice, fairly urgently.
    I have a Canon F-1 New, and have been testing it without film in the camera. After working well for a few shots, the shutter doesn't seem to engage, nor can I wind the shutter on.
    I'm really not sure what has happened, but the camera appears to have blocked.
    Does anyone know of any safety systems, or any way to free up the winding mechanism?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!
    Kind regards.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Battery?

Shooter
    35mm
    If it is a dead battery issue then it has to be physically removed from the compartment in order for it to work in manual mode.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the manual I found this:

The New F- 1 has a built-in safety circuit which prevents shutter release if the lens aperture ring is on ~the "A" mark and a power drive is not attached.
    Enigmatic to me...

but maybe useful to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    In the manual I found this:

The New F- 1 has a built-in safety circuit which prevents shutter release if the lens aperture ring is on ~the "A" mark and a power drive is not attached.

Enigmatic to me...

but maybe useful to you.
    I never realized that, but it makes sense. The New F-1 is an aperture priority camera, so you never have the aperture ring set to A. When a power drive is attached then shutter priority is enabled.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I read the manual further meanwhile... With the AE-1 and the A-1 (both with shutter-priority AE as standard) being predecessors to the New-F1 I am surprised that the camera needs the winder/motor drive to enable shutter-priority AE; I somehow overlooked that so far...

And now back to troubleshooting.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's also possible to shoot shutter-priority (lens on "A") with a motor attached, but have something unknown wrong with the motor, which means all your shots are actually taken at the smallest aperture on the lens and totally underexposed (ask me how I know this.) If you have a new-to-you F-1N and motor combination, you might want to test this with the back open and make sure the aperture is changing wider and narrower as you change how much light you aim it at while firing it.

Assuming you've physically removed the battery and have it set to 1/60 or above and it still doesn't work, then I'd start looking at the usual suspects: mirror hanging up (due to sticky foam?), aperture preview lever engaged when lens was mounted, etc.

Duncan

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The shutter should still work even with the aperture activator locked by mistake behind the aperture lever of the lens and the DOF-preview button released again.
    Or... the NEW-F1 has a very special security lock with position control of the activator. Is that so? (The T-90 has not.)
    Last edited by AgX; 01-03-2013 at 11:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The shutter should still work even with the aperture activator locked by mistake behind the aperture lever of the lens and the DOF-preview button released again.
    Or... the NEW-F1 has a very special security lock with position control of the activator. Is that so? (The T-90 has not.)
    I'm pretty sure that was a fatal lockup state for the original F-1, but I no longer have any of those and haven't actually tried it with a new one...

Duncan

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I assume in all models the actuator only to be drawn back to its start position by means of a spring. A stuck actuator then should do no harm to the camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin