Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,631   Online: 1109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F5 - sticky rubber?

Is the F5 another victim of the sticky rubber or will I be okay in that aspect?
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps explaining by what you mean by "sticky rubber" may encourage some responses.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't recollect reading on forums of F5's having the problem. There is none whatsoever on my F5. The rubber armoured panels can be got as spares anyway so should you need to change one it will be a lot easier than a F90 etc.

The F5 is a lovely camera to use IMO & for what they are going for these days presents great value. Just be prepared for how heavy it is round your neck.
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon F5 - sticky rubber?

My f5 had the loose rubber issue. Nikon agents here fixed it nice and cheap for me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no sticky rubber for me

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My F5 is a workhorse and no sticky anything.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Awesome
    The F100's grips and backs turn into a tacky mess

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Three F5 bodies used with some regularity in a variety of environmental conditions (from -25C/-30C in the Rockies over the course of the last several winters, to +30C in the summer here at home and throughout Cascadia) and I have yet to experience problems with the rubber coverings (the "sticky rubber" problem) coming loose from the bodies of any of these cameras. Given that I had never heard of anyone having problems with the coverings prior to reading the OP (hence my initial remark, above), was "sticky rubber" a short-term QC issue for Nikon?
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Every Nikon with a ruberized finish (4) I own has developed this problem. It is an epidemic among most of the late model cameras from all manufacturers that have this type of finish with no cure and no means of prevention. It seems to be almost entirely related to age, as cameras stored in cool environments in benign atmospheres (including with dessicants) often develop it. It is a major bummer which is forcing me to consider getting rid of a lot of cameras I thought I would be using 20 years from now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    The finest Nikon was the F2. Actually the finest Nikon was a Nikkormat. Nothing wrong with MINE. Sorry for you guys stuck with those things. Looks like you're going to have to start tearing off coverings and fabricate some leather, if it can be done.
    I was so stupid didn't buy the Nikkormat. I did buy the F2AS but still I moved on and bought the F3HP and the F5 spending way more money than necessary to own Nikon's finest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin