Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,082   Online: 906

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes it was a lab error. They processed traditional B&W in C41. They should have known better. Now you know. My suggestion, if you are looking for one, is to have your B&W processed by thedarkroom.com if your not doing it yourself. Not very expensive and they are good quality and fast. See their ad as an APUG sponsor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The odd times I take a B&W film in to be developed for me (i.e. 127 size films) I make a point of saying that it is old fashioned B&W film, not colour. They then know to send it away to their central facility.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tri X isn't really "drug store" film (who coined that term anyways? It ranks up there on the cringe list, along with nifty-fifty...)
    I'm not even sure if minilabs (the machines that do C-41) handle b&w
    Make sure you spec B&W film.
    Conversely, if you use a C-41 B&W film, make sure they run it in C41

Shooter
    35mm
    Frankly unless you are devoted to trad B&W film and are prepared to put up with the extra postage cost, time, potential loss in mail etc then it might makes sense to buy Ilford XP2 Super which is a B&W C41 film that is designed for printing in B&W chemistry

If you decide to go with local mini-lab printing as well which is RA4(colour) paper then it is said that the Kodak C41 equivalent is designed for RA4 paper so Kodak B&W C41 film may be the best bet.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sorry to hear about the burnt roll.

It was a similar situation that convinced me to start developing myself. I was specifically buying BW400CN so that I could just take it to a drug store. Little by little the local places stopped developing and there was only one drug store that still did it. I dropped off a roll there and came back later to pick it up to find a lady working there completely irate with me for "ruining her machine".

When I asked what she meant, she accused me of purposely sabotaging her machine by not telling her it was black & white film and it had turned the machine into a sticky mess, mangling and destroying my film and causing some sort of unspecific mayhem within the machine as well.

After she was done, I grabbed a box of BW400CN from the rack beside her and showed her that it specifically said it was meant for normal process, even though it was black & white, so it couldn't have been my film. In response she didn't apologize, offer me a free roll of film or anything other than asking me to leave the store.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin