Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,854   Online: 761

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

no images on a roll

I just ran a roll of "purchased at a drug store" Kodak 400TX with the result from the lab being that film was not exposed. I checked the camera to verify that the shutter was actually firing - it is. Camera is a range finder, so nothing in the path between shutter and film. Maybe I failed to load properly and the film never actually advanced - that's my guess. Is it possible that film which had not had good environmental storage could have all the exposure sensitivity "leach out"? I've still got a couple of rolls, so I don't want to waste opportunity if bad film has the potential of being the culprit.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no, it is not possible. film doesn't lose its sensitivity, not that much. 100 year old film can still grab some sort of image.

when you load any camera, make sure the film is hooked to the take-up spool by advancing a bit before closing the back. After you close the back, turn then rewind crank in its usual direction until you just barely start to feel tension, then advance the film. If the rewind crank turns backwards, the film is advancing.

don't sweat it -- we all make this mistake. nothing to do but say a bad word and start over.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, this is part of the learning process....I've made about every mistake...even shot thinking there was film in a camera (there wasn't.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi jim

sorry to hear of your problem
    its no fun when something like that happens.
    tell me, on the edges of your negatives, do you see numbers ( frame numbers ) ?
    if the answer is yes then it was a user error, maybe the film was loaded wrong, maybe the camera
    malfunctioned &c ... if there is nothing on the film, ... frame numbers &c it might have been a lab mistake.
    frame numbers mean the film was processed correctly ... can you post a skan of a strip of film ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are the frame numbers and text such as the film code visible on the film rebate, e.g. the word "Kodak" along the edge where the sprockets are? If not, it means the film wasn't developed properly. Was it processed by a lab that regularly does B&W film? If the edge markings are there it means the film was processed OK and you hadn't loaded it correctly in the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How did you know when it was time to rewind the roll?Would the film not advance anymore-was there tension on it?Was there any tension when you were rewinding?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the future, after you load the film, and close the back, look at the rewind crank as you advance the film. It should turn as you advance the film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It sucks when that happens, doesn't it. My first roll of HP5+ in my grandfather's AE-1 ended up that way. As eddie said, always check if the rewind crank is moving when you advance the film.

I recently got a lovely, pure black roll of Provia 400X back from the lab because the mirror lock up mechanism on an RB67 lens failed to disengage. Don't feel bad about this one roll, it happens to all of us every once in a while. I'm sure others can testify.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always check to make sure the film is caught and advancing on the take up spool before closing the back. Then I give the rewind a turn to make sure there's tension, if not, the leader will come off and tension will drop off. Then I check the rewind knob/post to make sure it turns as I advance to the first frame.

Shooter
    Multi Format

It was lab error.

Thanks to all responders. There were no markings along the sprockets. I just assumed (ugly word that it is) that "drug store film" could be developed by "drug store machines". I don't know if the machines have different settings for B&W vs Color or if they just can't do the 400TX. Next roll goes to a more professional lab.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin