Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,731   Online: 890

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Main one that I can think of with both a vertical-run shutter and MLU would be the Pentax K2 or K2 DMD.

I am very surprised to see that they didn't use the same shutter in the LX. The K2 is a rugged, long-lived camera which stays accurate for years, flash sync is 1/125. Mine has had no attention beyond new light seals and a good clean, I did take the top plate off to press a dent out and get the hotshoe level again but everything underneath was pristine.

I'd like an LX, but aside from its legendary metering abilities in Av mode I'm not seeing anything to make me find the £200 or so to buy one and the £100 or so for a proper CLA. I already have a K2, a couple of KXs and four MXs. As it stands I'm more inclined to spend a bit less on a nice K2 DMD, which has a few upgrades over the original and can use a winder (if you can find one...)

Interestingly it seems that the K2's metering can also handle exposures of over 8 seconds in Av. I was finishing off the last couple of frames of a roll last week and tried some night shots. Rough timing with my watch suggested that it was happily producing exposures in the 20-30 second range. The batteries are sound and it has proven accurate on several previous rolls. I'll know whether it worked when the slides come back in a week or two. I know the M series bodies with a later version of the same shutter (not the MX which uses a cloth and springs shutter) can do this too, or at least some of them can.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Obviously we can't change anything now but if looked at in the proper perspective at the time of it's release, the reliable/proven titanium horizontal shutters - pioneered by the F then the F2, was the choice in design for all the PRO interchangeable viewfinder cameras of the time. It won't burn even if mirror is locked up and pointing to the sun. Probably due to NASA requirements at the time? In the EOS 1VHS manual there is a caution stating, "During mirror lockup, do not point the camera lens at the sun. The sun’s heat can scorch and damage the shutter curtains."

Interestingly enough the oldest design - XK released in 1972, had the fastest sync speed of the group.
    1. XK 1/100
    2. F-1 1/90
    3. F3 1/80
    4. F2 1/80
    5. LX 1/75
    6. F 1/60

You'll notice that Nikon didn't even raise the sync speed from the F2 to F3 release.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back in the 80s I lusted after an LX but I never bought one. I did, however, buy an FA-1 finder from a store I worked at in Atlanta thinking I would buy one piecemeal but I never got around to it. Finally, in 2010 I saw one on Ebay without the FA-1 finder and thought I'd try it out. I got it, put the finder on it and sent it to Eric Hendrickson because of some minor issues. I liked it a lot, but the one thing that bothered me a bit is the smallish size of the camera. For 35mm slrs I like larger cameras although I don't have large hands. I love the feel of a Spotmatic, K1000, KX, etc. I ended up selling the LX last year but I'm glad I owned one. The one thing I do miss about it is the fantastic metering system, great for night shots.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Having acquired two LXs . . . I can't say that I'm blown away by it and there are at least four Pentaxes that I tend to favour over it - the K2, KX, MX and ES2. Steve
    Just because you prefer other cameras over the LX does not make you a heretic. I personally look at these various light tight boxes as just another tool in the toolbox. As such, I use the right tool for the job and which of your preferred list of bodies can do this job?

I submit to you that from your list that only the LX would be the proper tool for the job that will allow you to take a picture of the VF taking a picture of another LX . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    So, what's your problem with Stan Kenton?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrismat View Post
    The one thing I do miss about it is the fantastic metering system, great for night shots.
    How about the widest single unassisted metering range of EV - 6.5 EV to to EV +20 that is unequalled by any camera past or present. Couple this with realtime monitoring of the scene - making adjustments accordingly, and aperture auto exposure for as long as it takes or battery dies and it is the right tool for night shots. I've tested both of my LX's and they meter nearly identical for exposures > 2 hours in a controlled setting.

Kodak Ektar 100 + LX+ SMC 28mm f2.8 in aperture priority auto expose of >35minutes.

I don't know of an external meter that can match the LX's single metering range.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Pentax LX wasn't and isn't my camera of choice and thus I don't own one. But speaking of its shutter I do like the horizontal shutter better than the vertical one. I don't care for high shutter speed above 1/1000 nor high flash sync speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think you are a heretic at all. No more than I believe that I am a heretic just because I haven't found a single Nikon that I have been able to bond with, though I have tried several over the years trying to decide what everyone else sees in them.

Besides, if everyone loved the LX, goodness only knows how high the prices on them could go on our favorite auction site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like mine a lot, but I do enjoy shooting with the MX maybe more. But for some things I do like AE, and the flash AE off the film plane is great. Metering accuracy is superb. The only thing it really needs is AE memory lock, but that's curiously lacking on all Pentax AE cameras.

I wish the MX had the (non trick) MLU and had the film speed range of the LX.

Complaints that it's too small are odd to me. The MX is smaller and that's one of the reasons I like the MX. But the LX feels fine. My K1000 (a gift - I'd never buy one considering I can get a chrome MX for the price of one) feels like a brick in comparison. (A less well built brick - it's a Chinese made one and frankly feels cheap, but works ok.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I wish the MX had the (non trick) MLU
    I have an MX. What is the MLU trick?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin