Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,793   Online: 934

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have an MX. What is the MLU trick?

Steve.
    Advance the shutter then use your finger to flick the shutter button (very fast and light) and the mirror locks up (MLU).

This also works on Spotmatics, the KX and ESII.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've actually never been able to get it to work, but I have read about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just tried it on my Spotmatic but all it did was to fire the shutter -- I was GIVEN a KX so when I have finished the film I will try it in that model.
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    35mm
    It does take a bit of practice, I fired the shutter many times before getting the hang of it it. The trick is to brush the very edge with the slightest touch. Before anyone says I do realise the KX already has MLU but I thought I would try it anyway.

here's an article on the subject

http://www.oocities.org/spirope/mxmlu.htm

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm. Interesting. After expressing my reservations about the LX I half expected to awaken today to find a severed horse's head on my pillow, yet it seems that I'm far from alone with my thoughts.

As has been said, I couldn't see what there was to shout about with the horizontal titanium shutter blinds when the rubberised fabric blinds in most SLRs will outlast me (I'll try to resist the urge to point the cameras at the sun with MLU engaged!) Pentax seemed to have the vertical running metal shutters well sorted in the ME, K2, etc. (were they in fact Seiko?) and yet apparently the horizontal titanium jobs were sometimes prone to cracking.
    Pete - you're very lucky being given a KX. I've had mine since 1986 and no complaints. Unfortunately, I was only given an MZ-50 at the weekend, but it would have been rude to refuse it and you can never have enough cameras!

And, of course, there's nothing wrong with Stan Kenton. In fact, he seems to have rather more fans (me included) than the LX does!

Best wishes,

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have heard of that trick for the Spotmatic. I didn't know it worked for the MX though.

The feature I do like is the double use of the self timer lever as a DOF preview lever.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a bit puzzling that the MX lacks MLU, considering that the KX has it and is basically the same mechanically.

TBH the ASA range isn't much of a problem. If I really wanted to shoot Ilford Delta 3200 in my MX or KX I'll just set it to 1600 then remember to crank the shutter speed up a stop or turn the aperture down a stop. Last time I used the stuff the in-camera metering (on an SF7) couldn't cope with the party lighting anyway, so I just set it to 1/60 at f1.7 and made sure I only pressed the button when people's faces had some light on them. The vast majority of the frames were fine after a little adjustment to darken and improve contrast.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I liked about the LX was: It's size, smaller than the K1000, bigger than the MX
    The fact it had interchangable viewfinders
    It was black

what I didn't like: It had sticky mirror syndrome
    It had a tear in it's shutter curtain
    NOBODY in SA wanted to/could repair it

returned it for a full refund, missed it, learned to cope with the K1000 and MX, still secretly want one but I do not need it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    It's a bit puzzling that the MX lacks MLU, considering that the KX has it and is basically the same mechanically.

TBH the ASA range isn't much of a problem. If I really wanted to shoot Ilford Delta 3200 in my MX or KX I'll just set it to 1600 then remember to crank the shutter speed up a stop or turn the aperture down a stop. Last time I used the stuff the in-camera metering (on an SF7) couldn't cope with the party lighting anyway, so I just set it to 1/60 at f1.7 and made sure I only pressed the button when people's faces had some light on them. The vast majority of the frames were fine after a little adjustment to darken and improve contrast.
    That's true, it's easy enough to work around the meter film speed settings with a manual camera and in fact I've done exactly this, shooting TMZ at 3200. But it would be easier if it just extended another stop or, preferably, two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricus.stormfire View Post
    What I liked about the LX was: It's size, smaller than the K1000, bigger than the MX
    The fact it had interchangable viewfinders
    It was black

what I didn't like: It had sticky mirror syndrome
    It had a tear in it's shutter curtain
    NOBODY in SA wanted to/could repair it

returned it for a full refund, missed it, learned to cope with the K1000 and MX, still secretly want one but I do not need it.
    Well you had one with problems. That doesn't reflect problems with the design, just one broken example.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin