Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,330   Posts: 1,537,194   Online: 825

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm

Pentax LX - am I a heretic?

Having acquired two LXs for not very much money a while ago, I've now had a chance to experiment with them (well, with one of them). The LX seems to have an almost mythical status in some areas, and its proponents seemingly won't hear a bad word said about it (rather like Stan Kenton fans!) However, it doesn't seem to get mentioned very often on APUG very often despite being, perhaps, the only true Pentax professional 35mm system camera.
    Whilst it's a reasonable enough camera to use, I can't say that I'm blown away by it and there are at least four Pentaxes that I tend to favour over it - the K2, KX, MX and ES2. OK, the LX has more bells and whistles - the interchangeable viewfinder, backward counting film re-wind, strap lugs to hang it vertically, titanium shutter, etc. - but how often do these make a difference? My biggest gripe is that in manual exposure mode the reading is only discernable to one f-stop via the LED readout - the MX has half-stop LEDs. Perhaps my reservations are largely because at heart I like to use manual exposure and the K2 and ES2 are much happier in that mode (forgetting for the moment the need for good batteries to operate on some speeds and the KX and K2 of course use match-needle metering - much nicer than LEDs!).
    I suppose that the difference tells in that when I was quite happy to spend out on a service for the K2 a few years back and likewise the ES2, the LX would now undoubtedly benefit from a service and yet I find myself reluctant to spend money when realistically I may never use it.
    Anyone else out there care to comment on their love for their LX or otherwise?
    Best wishes,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know I bought one years ago and have used it twice! I always go for either the MX or an MG (prefer that to the me super for some reason). They just seem to 'feel' better. Also they are not as noisy with the shutter!.
    So my LX sits on the shelf.
    Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, what's your problem with Stan Kenton?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Perhaps it's proof that sentiment overrules logic in camera preferences, but none of those 40-year-old newcomers can hold a candle to the Spotmatic in my mind. The first pro photographer I ever knew used one (I was maybe 15 years old) and nothing else comes close to its essential coolness. Like a finely tailored suit, tactile, elegant and no more than one needs. If James Bond had a camera, that would've been it. With the 50/1.4, of course.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always felt the with the Nikon and Canon Fs, most of the features I would never use, only reason I traded in my Konica T2 for an Nikon F was the motor drive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've never used an lx,I do have a lot of other Pentax cameras though,and not wanting to hijack the thread,I agree with sdotkling,it's hard to top a Spotmatic.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	482.5 KB 
ID:	62368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	482.5 KB 
ID:	62368 Isn't she beautiful?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also had an LX, but ended up only keeping the spotmatics...
    LX is a very good camera, but mine suffered reliability issues, that a CLA did not solve, hence I did not
    want to use it that much. WLF is fine but nothing nothing comparable to a medium format SLR. Other
    than that, I enjoyed using it for the time it had been working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wore out two Spotmatics. Wish they still made them, I would like to wear out another one. Never had much love for the LX though, on the other hand, a nice MX would be a great addition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The main disappointment I have with my LX is that for a 'Pro' camera the fastest flash synch speed is 1/75th second whereas my ME Supers synch at 1/125th - I do a lot of outdoors fill-in flash -- even on my K10D it is only 1/180th second fastest synch speed -- other makes can manage 1/250th easily ! Also, the LX has the 'sticky mirror' syndrome where it sticks up if the camera has not been used in a while and it needs to be fired several times before the mirror becomes 'instant return' again.
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
    The main disappointment I have with my LX is that for a 'Pro' camera the fastest flash synch speed is 1/75th second whereas my ME Supers synch at 1/125th - I do a lot of outdoors fill-in flash -- even on my K10D it is only 1/180th second fastest synch speed -- other makes can manage 1/250th easily ! Also, the LX has the 'sticky mirror' syndrome where it sticks up if the camera has not been used in a while and it needs to be fired several times before the mirror becomes 'instant return' again.
    Because the LX has horizontal traveled shutter curtains which limit its flash sync speed. All cameras with this type of shutter only have about the same max sync speed. How many cameras with vertical bladed shutter that also have mirror lock up. There are a few but not many as it difficult to make that type of shutter completely light tight and most depend on the mirror to help.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin