Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,608   Online: 955

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Can anyone diagnose this problem?

Hello all,

New to the forum here and enjoying the content! I recently inherited some LTM lenses (35mm, 50mm and 90mm). I've been using them on my Sony NEX, however they made me really want to get back into film. I purchased a Canon 7 rangefinder of the web. The seller listed it as untested, but indicated that the shutter speeds seem to be accurate and the rangefinder was properly set. For $100 USD, I decided it was worth the gamble. However, upon testing, of course I realized a few problems:

1. see the picture below. I feel like this is a problem with the film not advancing, as the statue is meant to be centered in the frame:
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	issue-1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	62386
    2. Typically about halfway through the roll, the exposure counter stops advancing. It turns halfway to the next frame, then clicks back.

I feel like the take up spool is not working properly. It's really difficult to load as the little tab in the spool that catches the sprocket hole doesn't seem to grab the film properly. Is it possible that it is losing it's grip halfway through the roll and the extra slack is not allowing the film to advance?

I've never seen a problem like this before, as I've used a Nikon FM2N for about 20 years and never had any problems so I have nothing to compare it to. Any ideas? Is it worth repairing if it's anything major?

Thanks!

Images
    Good Evening, RallyFan,

It could be a problem with the focal plane shutter. Wild thought: Any chance this was shot with on-camera flash? This looks somewhat like a flash shot made at faster-than-sync speed, although the complete lack of detail in the upper portion of the picture isn't typical of that problem.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Konical - This was not shot with flash (doesn't even have a hotshoe!). A little more than half of the pictures came out properly, and a handful ended up like this.

I'm really hoping this is salvageable, I love the size, viewfinder, and the fact it gives me both 35mm and 50mm framelines. Otherwise, I may have to bite the bullet and get a Leica III.

Images
    Good Evening Again, RallyFan,

I can't think of anything besides a malfunctioning focal-plane shutter. You might test at various speeds to see if the results are constant.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like a combination of shutter curtain hang-up and film advance malfunction. My answer is Essex Camera http://www.essexcamera.com/
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

Get the camera a CLA [Clean Lubricate, Adjust] at www.keh.com or see post #4.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks everyone. KLH lists a repair fee of $205, so it looks like I'll be packing it up and returning it. That would put me at $305 for a working Canon 7, which seems a bit high to me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Off topic
    Which Sony nex do you have? I am interested in getting one. You are able to use the LTM lenses on the camera?
    Thanks

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    Off topic
    Which Sony nex do you have? I am interested in getting one. You are able to use the LTM lenses on the camera?
    Thanks
    I have the 5n, which I got when the 5r came out. Only paid $349 for the body. The beauty of it is that you can adapt just about any lens ever made to it. For the LTM, I actually have the bayonet adapter with the LTM to bayonet on top of it. It was actually cheaper that way. Adapting lenses like Leica is great because it doesn't really increase the size much. The Nikon adapter, on the other hand, is rather large. And people always look twice when they see a new camera with a 63 year old Leica 5cm attached.

Also, the image quality is very impressive (it's a version of the Nikon D7000 sensor). I believe Sony used a weak AA filter as the sharpness is amazing (seriously, read the reviews!). Additionally, low light quality is very good. ISO 1600 has minimal noise, and 3200 and 6400 are easily cleaned up in Lightroom. Also, for manual focus lenses, it has a nifty 'focus peaking' feature, along with the ability to zoom in to fine tune focusing.

I picked it up after researching using legacy glass, like the LTM lenses. I love if for it's portability, it really makes me want to take it more places where my DSLR was cumbersome. And I'm extremely satisfied with the IQ. The only drawback for me is that the controls are not as intuitive as a SLR (or a rangefinder), but you get used to them. I highly recommend checking one out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you have a sacrificial roll that you can wind all the way to the end with the camera back open to see what is happening? I had a camera that was tearing sprockets half way through the roll and it turned out the rewind knob was just too stiff. A tiny drop of oil solved it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin