Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,176   Online: 964

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yashica T4, in addition to the three previously mentioned.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    KEH have a Rollei 35 with excellent Triotar lens for 170 dollars. If it is working without any problem , its hard to beat with any Japanese camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

A cool 35mm compact

I recently purchased an Olympus XA for £25, equivalent to $40

I can't think of anything more compact that has a rangfinder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Yashica T4 is hard to beat. Razor sharp lens and an amazing auto-focus / auto-exposure system that rarely does anything wrong.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    The only thing I'd be uneasy about with the Rollei is the fact that it's a viewfinder rather than rangefinder camera. I have used a 1930s Zeiss folding camera which lacked any means of measuring the distance to subject and found it frustrating. When I put it on a tripod and used an SLR to find the right focus (read off one camera's focus scale, transferred to the other) the resulting images were very sharp indeed, but if you shoot it hand-held without any guidance for focusing you quickly find why old photos tend to be soft!
    Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, if it was me, I'd want autofocus or a rangefinder. It doesn't really matter how good the lens is if everything is out of focus. Fine if you are shooting landscapes, or daylight outdoor scenes where you can zone focus or 'hyperfocal' focus. But portraits, or anything in lower light, or closer up, nope. The mju is good and cheap.

If it didn't have to be quite as cheap, my own personal favourite is the Rollei AFM/Fuji Klasse. Good size, lots of manual control, excellent lens, good flare resistance, and (in my experience) very accurate metering.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you practice, you can become quite good at guessing distances -- for recommending the Rollei 35.

However, more details are needed from the original poster. What price range is "reasonable"? What features: Auto-everything?

A nice alternative is an Olympus 35 RC or perhaps a Konica C35 Automatic.

Otherwise, go to a thrift shop and get any point and shoot or $10 or less.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Also, Kodak Retinas can be pretty compact if you want an all-manual camera with a great lens. Heavy, though, and the ergonomics are idiosyncratic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have had good results with a Rollei Prego 90. Purchased several on the auction site for $20-$30. It is a compact plastic point and shoot 35mm camera with 28-90mm lens range, Schneider optics and auto everything. Here is a scan from a print from New Years.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Scan did not take? Another try:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SCAN0040.JPG  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin