Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,166   Online: 975

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In addition to those previously mentioned, among my favorites are Pentax PC35AF (quiet) or Canon MC (noisy). Nikon L35AF. Canon ML. Truthfully, as far as AF compacts, or compact rangefinders, most of them have very good lenses. The rest is all a matter of ergonomics, availability and utility. See what they have at the local thrift stores and flea markets, and don't be afraid of some of the less-known names, like Chinon or Samsung. Some of the cameras listed here are not what I would call inexpensive for a carry-around camera, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yashica T4
    Contax T2/T3
    Rollei 35
    Olympus Mju
    Olympus XA/XA2
    Ricoh GR1v
    Fuji Natura (if you can get your hands on one)

Those are really the best of the best. Can't go wrong with any of them.
    cities & citizens - edmonton street photography (mostly), 100% film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, everyone!

Shooter
    35mm
    Mju II aperture stays open too long as speeds climb and no manual ASA or override, just DX. Minimum 400 asa film needed for street work, faster if you can get it. A strictly portrait camera on slower films.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by digic View Post
    but would like it to be relatively affordable.
    Many of the cameras mentioned here are not very affordable. The Yashica T4 has unfortunately achieved 'cult' status with the accompanying price tag. The Ricoh GR series cameras are great but costly, there's one in the classifieds now. Rollei 35s and Contax T series are also costly.

The Mju II is probably the best bet, I use 800 speed film in mine to overcome the aperture issue blockend speaks of above.

Can I also suggest the Nikon AF6000 (Lite Touch)? It's got a 28/3.5 lens and can be had on ebay quite cheaply. The only issue with it is that it doesn't read 800 & 1600 film. So as long as you shoot only 100, 200 and 400 films you're fine.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon Canonet QL 17 GIII

Big name, tiny full-manual rangefinder with a workhorse 40mm 1.7 lens. I don't know why it never makes it onto the list of compacts, but it's about as small as a camera can get while retaining manual features.

Also, be prepared to pay between $10-$20 to have it refoamed, or do it yourself. The original foam in these is notoriously bad, but easily replaced.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For my Rollei 35S I printed a "human rangefinder" according to
    http://tomchuk.com/misc/rf/
    and pasted it to the lower edge of the back.
    It works very well and may be an argument for the otherwise gorgeous Rollei, if the missing rangefinder is a problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    A Pentax ME Super with the Takumar 17mm F4 Fisheye using a M42 to K Mount adapter is not only the most compact aperture priority capable SLR combination but it is definitely cool . . .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kodak Signet 40.

Stylish.
    Rangefinder.
    No batteries.
    Radioactive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I second the Nikon L35af. Quality is miles ahead of the Canon AF35m (although it's still a good camera..). The Minolta HiMatic AF is another good one. Manual wind and rewind but autofocus and exposure. All 3 of those cameras have great sharp lenses and with the exception of the Nikon, are really cheap. I paid $40 or so for a really nice L35 and $15 for another that's a good user. All of the 5 HiMatics I have were $10 or less and the Canon was $10.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin