Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,533   Online: 1004

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've had problems with the meter needle sticking in my XA, but smacking it hard on my palm usually dislodges it. Keep the Rollei in a case, or the battery will drain.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Canon MC10. I purchased mine for $10 and it came with all of the original accessories. Its film advance is loudish, but it produces good images. I'll go scan one in for you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I always liked the Contax 139 with 50mm f/1.7 lens.

It's small for an SLR but it's not a "pocket" camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I always liked the Contax 139 with 50mm f/1.7 lens.

It's small for an SLR but it's not a "pocket" camera.
    If we're going that route then a Pentax MX and 40mm "pancake" lens would be ideal. It will fit in a coat pocket, which is handy if the weather isn't behaving.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just about of the mid-1970s smaller rangefinders would do. There are models from Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Konica, Vivitar and Ricoh -- to name just a few.

All of them, bar none, will need to have new foam. Just don't let any of it get into the shutter mechanism.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    If we're going that route then a Pentax MX and 40mm "pancake" lens would be ideal. It will fit in a coat pocket, which is handy if the weather isn't behaving.
    Zeiss made a 45mm f/2.8 pancake lens for the Contax also. I guess it all depends on how small the OP wants to go.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's not just about size, but image. An SLR says serious, maybe intrusive. A compact is just a snapper. In some circumstances it's an important difference.

Shooter
    35mm
    TBH I think it depends on the SLR and the lens.

The Pentax M series bodies in black with a small lens just look quietly competent. People equate "serious" with a big chunky camera with battery grip and a lens the size of a drainpipe. While I can fit a winder and big lenses to my black MX I can also clip a small prime on and take unobtrusive shots in a city centre.

Check how loud the winder is if you're buying a compact with auto wind. I have an old Olympus Trip AF Super here which belonged to my grandfather and is painfully noisy.
    Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    It's not just about size, but image. An SLR says serious, maybe intrusive. A compact is just a snapper. In some circumstances it's an important difference.
    Back in 1983 I was 20 years old and in Pensacola, Florida. I was on the beach near the Naval base with my first 35mm camera, an amateur, aperture priority only Canon AV1 with a cheap Vivitar zoom lens. There were signs posted on the beach that no professional photographers were allowed. I wasn't worried since there were tourists there with much nicer SLR's than mine and with larger zooms and after all, I was still trying to learn how to use mine. I was approached anyway and asked if I had not read the signs. I replied that I was merely an amateur. The guard smiled and told me that I sure looked like I knew my way around a camera and would I please just put it away.

Boy, I sure had him fooled!

Shooter
    35mm
    Olympus 35RC, with full manual control plus shutter preferred auto, rangefinder focusing and a really good lens.

The 35RC used a mercury battery but I have no problem using a #675 hearing aid battery in mine, I don't even use a 'O' ring spacer.
    Last edited by pen s; 01-11-2013 at 07:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin