Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,811   Online: 1116

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I always liked the Contax 139 with 50mm f/1.7 lens.

It's small for an SLR but it's not a "pocket" camera.
    Although I don't have one, I am certain a Contax 139 would be past the right side of this lineup. The Olympus Epic truly is a pocket size camera - not only in size but weight too. The Nikon 35Ti is pocketable but it is in the heavy side. The half frame Olympus Pen FT is small - no mirror hump, and the lenses are small too. It is an SLR and definitely it's robust construction makes it almost the weight of the MX/OM1. So just how cool and/or compact really . . .

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Olympus Stylus Epic is another designation of Olympus µ-II mentioned in other posts above.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Although I don't have one, I am certain a Contax 139 would be past the right side of this lineup. The Olympus Epic truly is a pocket size camera - not only in size but weight too. The Nikon 35Ti is pocketable but it is in the heavy side. The half frame Olympus Pen FT is small - no mirror hump, and the lenses are small too. It is an SLR and definitely it's robust construction makes it almost the weight of the MX/OM1. So just how cool and/or compact really . . .

My daughter owns an Olympus OM1 and the Contax 139 was about the same size. A little thicker maybe but not quite as long and much more ergonomic. Of course I am going by memory here.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Can I also suggest the Nikon AF6000 (Lite Touch)? It's got a 28/3.5 lens and can be had on ebay quite cheaply. The only issue with it is that it doesn't read 800 & 1600 film. So as long as you shoot only 100, 200 and 400 films you're fine.
    I had this camera, the original Lite-Touch with the 28mm lens. It's one of the few cameras I truly regret selling. It was fully-automatic but that did not prevent it from making very nice photos. I need to pick another one up, but we have three different Olympus Stylus cameras to fill the same general role...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    My daughter owns an Olympus OM1 and the Contax 139 was about the same size. A little thicker maybe but not quite as long and much more ergonomic. Of course I am going by memory here.
    You're memory is good as I just checked the specs on the 139 compared to the OM1 and MX and they are very similar to within a couple of millimeters. Thanks for the heads up as I was not aware it was that close.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    +1 for the little rollei 35. I used a 35B for many years as my only camera - lowest spec lens in the range. Nothing wrong with the images it took - certainly up there with any other compact camera. used on middling stops the DOF is huge (e.g. DOF markers show 6ft to inf at F16) and the fact its a view camera and not a rangefinder is hardly a problem in normal use.

Not the fastest camera to use because you always have to extend the lens, and don't forget to use it upside down if using the bottom mounted flash if you don't want people to have dark halo's!

Shooter
    35mm
    Many of the cameras mentioned do take great photos but some are getting expensive. I keep an eye open for them but they just don't find their way into the Thrift Stores I shop in. I manage to find this Konica A4 on the bay for $17. After running a film through it I can recommend it. It is sleek and small enough to put in your shirt pocket.

Konica A4 P&S by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

Open by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    The only thing I'd be uneasy about with the Rollei is the fact that it's a viewfinder rather than rangefinder camera. I have used a 1930s Zeiss folding camera which lacked any means of measuring the distance to subject and found it frustrating. When I put it on a tripod and used an SLR to find the right focus (read off one camera's focus scale, transferred to the other) the resulting images were very sharp indeed, but if you shoot it hand-held without any guidance for focusing you quickly find why old photos tend to be soft!
    Try this http://tomchuk.com/misc/rf/ It's astounding precise. You can stick it to the back of the camera. Besides: The lens is only 40mm. If you don't try to make macros you will get away with hyperfocal focussing most of the time.

ED: Just seen that Heinz had posted the same link a while back. But as an add on:
    one of the pros of the little Rollei is, that you can make all the necessary dial ins without taking the camera to the eye. Then you raise the cam to the eye and take your picture within the blink of an eye. It's priceless for snapshots.
    Last edited by Ulrich Drolshagen; 02-06-2013 at 11:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 for the XA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Minox 35GT: legendary for an autoexposure system that gets reciprocity failure right.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin