Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,713   Online: 766

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Auxiliary rangefinders

Hi All.

I've just bought an auxilliary rangefinder to use with my Altix-n.

I can get it accurate at 3 feet, but then it will be a foot out at 8 feet and five feet out at twenty feet.

So are these things worth the money you pay for them? And are there any reasonably affordable alternatives?

Chris B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I forgot to say that it's a Medis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you adjust it, you should set it up for infinity - which is anything much over sixty feet - do not try to adjust it for close distances. To set infinity, choose a strong vertical a long way off and set it on that. It should then be ok for all other distances. My Medis rangefinder is certainly ok for for its entire range. There is not really a lot to go wrong with them apart from significant physical damage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As to being worth the money you pay for them goes, I find guessing works fine for landscapes and a maximum aperture of f8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually you need to fudge the adjustment so it's closer in the mid range and slightly out a 3ft. It's a balance and while I agree with Peltigera that it's rasy to guess but for more ctritical work they are useful.

I have a few rangefinders, some remarkably accurate others require new mirrors (which I need to cut) and alignment, most cost around £1. I just paid 99p for a Kodak close focus rangefinder which comes with it's own close up lenses.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    .... most cost around £1. I just paid 99p for a Kodak close focus rangefinder which comes with it's own close up lenses.
    So where do I need to go to find them at this price? I got mine on e-bay where most of them are £10 or more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 99p one came from ebay, others from Camera fairs. I am prepared to restore some items, and have beam spltter glass (half silvered) and will get some front surface mirror when I order two new SLR (Quarter plate and 6x9 pre WWII camera) mirrors.

I've been asked to restore early Leica rangefinders but need experience first

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I am prepared to restore some items
    So are these items reasonable easy to fix, then? If so I might have a go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipno Tizer View Post
    So are these items reasonable easy to fix, then? If so I might have a go.
    Depends, some are much easier than others, I've been doing quite a number of repairs and it's no real loss if I can't fix a £1 item. I've larger rangefinders on Speed/Crown Graphics that will be an easier start.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get a bust one just for a look inside. If I can't fix it, then so what.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin