Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,904   Online: 1163
      
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    458
    Images
    14
    My advice: Don't buy toys with money you do not have, or should have really used for other priorities. And don't go looking for trouble - once you are in the midst of a GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) attack, it will be hard to get out of without damage done. Once your hobby becomes gear acquisition, it is a different hobby than photography. It is sometimes hard to distinguish between the two, but having tried both, I think photography is more fun and better for your overall well-being.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Naestved, DK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,333
    I have both the F90X and the F100
    In bright light the F90X finder is much better since info can be hard to read in the F100.
    Approx 1/2 stop accuracy vs 1/3 stop accuracy doesn't make much difference, especially not when shooting B&W. Even with colorslides I have been more than happy with the result from my F90X. The Ergonomics wise the F100 shines and it baances better with large heavy lenses e.g. 85mm F/1.4 but I use both and if you don't need another camera stick with what youve got its plenty good enough.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

    Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

    Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

  3. #13
    epig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    40
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    My advice: Don't buy toys with money you do not have, or should have really used for other priorities. And don't go looking for trouble - once you are in the midst of a GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) attack, it will be hard to get out of without damage done. Once your hobby becomes gear acquisition, it is a different hobby than photography. It is sometimes hard to distinguish between the two, but having tried both, I think photography is more fun and better for your overall well-being.
    +1 this one. I am still shaving down thousands of dollars of debt from 10 years of GAS for gear I "needed", esp. after reading various camera forums, reviews, etc.

    If the desire is burning inside, put $10 in a "F100 Jar" every month for a year. In one year you'll have cash to pay for a clean used body, if you still have that burning desire.

    If you can't pay cash, you can't afford it!

    Eric

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    48
    I have two N90S's and an F100. I remain torn between the two. The F100 is ergonomically superior, with a far more comfortable grip. However, it is also quite a bit lighter in weight than the N90s, and when using a big heavy lens the greater weight of the N90S provides better balance. With my 80 - 200 mm lens, the F100 feels somewhat front heavy. All that said, I also have an F4, which I love, but using it now seems like a workout compared to either of the other models. If anyone would like to trade an F100 in good condition for the F4 or one of the N90S's, please contact me. I'm not getting any younger, and I fear one day I'll join the heathens shooting with cell phones, just due to the weight of my equipment.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chattanooga TN
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    498
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by epig View Post
    If the desire is burning inside, put $10 in a "F100 Jar" every month for a year. In one year you'll have cash to pay for a clean used body, if you still have that burning desire.

    Eric
    I like the idea of an F100 jar. I think I'll do it!

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    191
    I had N90s and really liked it except for one thing : the vertical grip doesn't have extra shutter speed/command dial. I actually prefer N90s ergonomic than Nikon's newer models (I used my friend's F100 once and wasn't really impressed).

  7. #17
    Ricardo Miranda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    573
    Approx 1/2 stop accuracy vs 1/3 stop accuracy
    I'm not sure what you mean here, but the F90X does have 1/3 stop adjustment to the shutter speed, exposure compensation is in 1/3 and even the Program shift is in 1/3. The exposure graphic on the viewfinder only shows 1 stop either way, but in 1/3. BTW, exposure compensation is up to +- 5 stops!

    To the OP
    The question you have to ask is: are you happy with your 2 F90X?
    I am more than happy with my F90X. So much so, that I bough 4 of them! All are in excellent working condition and no "sticky rubber" or peeling backs!. BTW, the F100 suffers a bit from the same, but it is different: the rubber becomes sticky in some, but never heard of it peeling away. The same goes for the F80.
    Here in the UK, I didn't pay more than £45 for any of mine, while a F100 in good condition on sale with a reputable seller goes for £140-160.

    This is the way I normally use my cameras:
    Camera in Aperture Priority mode. I use my left hand to cradle the lens from bellow and the thumb and index fingers to zoom/focus. To change aperture is with the thumb and middle or the ring finger. My right hand has a firm grip on the camera with the index finger hovering the shutter button, ready to fire or to move across to the exposure compensation button. The thumb is free to move to the command dial to change values for the exposure compensation.

    I don't have a F100, but I do have the F80 with the same "modus operandi" as the F100.
    I found awkward to have the index finder of the right hand to change apertures and then move it up to the shutter button. It isn't as quick as it is operating an aperture ring on the F90X.

    One thing the F100 has is the Custom Functions are integrated on the body and are about the same as the ones for the F90X available via a PC software. That is the one accessory I haven't: I'm missing the specific cable to connect the F90X to a PC. The software is now freely available: it is the Softalk 2000, usable with any F90 series, F100 and F5, here: http://www.cocoon-creations.com/COCO...Features.shtml. I would love to have the Easy Exposure Compensation in A mode, but need that cable.
    Have a good shooting!
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

  8. #18

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,951
    If you don't have the money and you already have 2 N90? Don't buy the F100. Whatever the F100 is better than the N90 is not worth going in debt for it nor having to save money for a year for it.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Naestved, DK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,333
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff.blackwell View Post
    I have two N90S's and an F100. I remain torn between the two. The F100 is ergonomically superior, with a far more comfortable grip. However, it is also quite a bit lighter in weight than the N90s, and when using a big heavy lens the greater weight of the N90S provides better balance. With my 80 - 200 mm lens, the F100 feels somewhat front heavy. SNIP<
    F100 without batteries: 785g
    F90X without batteries: 755g
    With the vertical grip F100 takes 6 AA batteries F90X 4. Adding to weight difference.
    Edit. Just had both on the kitchenscale. the F100 with vertical grip and batteries puts it at rest at 1273g. The F90X with vertical grip and batteries at 1123g.
    Best regards
    Last edited by Soeren; 01-15-2013 at 10:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

    Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

    Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Naestved, DK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean here, but the F90X does have 1/3 stop adjustment to the shutter speed, exposure compensation is in 1/3 and even the Program shift is in 1/3. The exposure graphic on the viewfinder only shows 1 stop either way, but in 1/3. BTW, exposure compensation is up to +- 5 stops!

    SNIP<
    Quite right. I was refering to the argument re. the Aperture increments. Ofcource you have 1/3 stop exposure accuracy just by using the shutterspeed dial. Didn't think it through there, sorry.
    Best regards

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin