Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,659   Online: 1102

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    I don't have a F100, but I do have the F80 with the same "modus operandi" as the F100.
    I found awkward to have the index finder of the right hand to change apertures (on the F100) and then move it up to the shutter button. It isn't as quick as it is operating an aperture ring on the F90X.
    After adjusting the Customs Settings on the F100 one can operate the aperture setting with the: 1) thumb wheel or 2) aperture ring on lenses so equipped, which makes for stepless setting.

newcan, I'll avoid the more personal matter of fiscal responsibilty and instead focus on where/what you may find more satisying than another body. You sound smitten. I don't think anyone has told you anything new about the F100. It's a lateral move from a 90. In terms of performance/handling/etc. there's nothing appreciably different to impress you. If your goal is acquisition, great...F100. If goal is otherwise (performance, handling, inspiration, fortune, fame and glory) I think your hard-earned dollars are better spent elsewhere, either refining or broadening horizons, just like the rest of us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the F100 makes more sense for someone (like myself) who uses both film and digital systems, especially if the lenses are of G and/or VR type. Some of the newer lenses are very nice to be able to use on film (14-24; some of the VR's). In that sense it is not a lateral move. But that is not the OP's situation, I think. I agree he/she may find more reward in pursuing photographic possibilities than gear at this stage. I only became able to afford "better" gear in my mid-thirties. Looking back, I wish I had spent more of that money on travelling and day trips, rather than on gear that becomes obsolete all too soon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Quite right. I was refering to the argument re. the Aperture increments. Ofcource you have 1/3 stop exposure accuracy just by using the shutterspeed dial. Didn't think it through there, sorry.
    Best regards
    That's ok Soeren! It can be at times confusing as the early F90 had the shutter speeds in 1/2 stops increments.

After adjusting the Customs Settings on the F100 one can operate the aperture setting with the: 1) thumb wheel or 2) aperture ring on lenses so equipped, which makes for stepless setting.
    You're absolutely right Aja, sorry.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    I think the F100 makes more sense for someone (like myself) who uses both film and digital systems..... In that sense it is not a lateral move. But that is not the OP's situation, I think.
    You are partially correct; I do use digital equipment, but only reluctantly; and most of my equipment and lenses are from the film era, and very few lenses are autofocus. I like the electronic rangefinder on the N90s; it makes using AI lenses easy. I think the thread here has confirmed that for now at least, I'm not missing too much. Also I confess I rather like the ergonomics of the N90 - kind of old school. I will put my GAS on hold and make good use of what I already have - which is not inconsiderable. Thank you all for helping me with this!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you made a good decision. I have several Nikons, the most modern is a N90s. I really like it and use is more than any of the others, and although I have never used a F100, I suspect the N90s if more technically capable than I am when it comes to photography.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    I had an F90X for a while. Loud camera and fast af. Nice camera but prefer F4 and the more silent F5. F90 is for free. Almost 10st F90x for one F5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have the N90s and they are beans to buy, I think the F100 has kept much more of its value, it much more like the modern DSLRs than the N90s is. I don't have the F100 but I do have the F80 and I can imagine the F100 would have much better ergonomics, and I assume it's quieter, the F80 is really quiet.

Their was a rumour at one point that as film camera declined Nikon were going to replace the F100 and F80 with a camera priced between them, I don't know if that was true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got an F90 basically free with a lens. I wanted an 28-70 f3.5 AF-D from the auction site, but they always went for more than I wanted. Then I noticed this F90 for sale with what looked like a 28-70 on it from a very blurry photo, so I bid for it and got the camera and lens for less than the lenses were going for. It turned out to be the right lens, but then I had this spare F90, which I didn't actually need. I thought about re-selling it so I cleaned it up (the usual rubber coating was coming off the film back), and ran a roll through it. I have an F100, so I thought there was no way I needed it, but found I actually really liked it! So I'm going to keep it for black and white HP5 shooting. This is a really nice camera, and they are going for virtually nothing at the moment, much less than an F100. The only extra that seems to be useful for me for the F100 is using the thumbwheel to set aperture on CPU lenses, which is no big deal for me as most of mine are manual focus non-cpu anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started my Nikon addiction on a brand new 1992 F601 AF. I call it my screaming pig. It made all the nicest pictures on E6 and C41 of my growing up kids, but oh man this thing screams! I'm waking up all neighbours when using it. No street machine you can see. Therefor I started buying around (and GASing a little bit) some 10 yrs ago ( and that has stopped now). A lot of Nikons came and went: F401 came and went, another F601 came and went,F65 came and went too, the F100 came and stayed, some cheapo Canon(!)rangfinders came and went, but it was never "in love" with them... then I made a mistake then and bought a beaten up F4S. Only troubles with it so far. I like the beast for it's knobs and handling but it's weighing in a ton, a pro machine indeed but end of life full of defects it's worth zero. Then I stood back and decided to try out the F90X. And there it was: love... Is it because I started on plastic 1992 camera's that I want it to be plastic,... and therefor light(er)? Is it because the damned things are so cheap(50€/F90X)? Is it because they are no bother to me and don't stand in between the subject and the mind? It's that too. So my conclusion: search until you find "your machine" and stick with it, learn the tricks and the quircks of it. There's probably nothing better for you out there...
    PS off topic: I wondered through all olympus Mju models too because it's such a nice and everyday usable type of (pocketable)camera. Got myself the Mju zoom 38-70 (made in japan) and the MjuII classic f2.8 to get along for the rest of my life. Full stop here too. they will do the job, everywhere... weathersealed... what'd you want more?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    My advice: Don't buy toys with money you do not have, or should have really used for other priorities. And don't go looking for trouble - once you are in the midst of a GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) attack, it will be hard to get out of without damage done. Once your hobby becomes gear acquisition, it is a different hobby than photography. It is sometimes hard to distinguish between the two, but having tried both, I think photography is more fun and better for your overall well-being.
    Well put. I know I've gone down the GAS trail too much in the past 8 years... Was it worth it? Nope. The tons of cash that I dumped into gear could've gone toward a LOT of film and processing. I probably would've been very happy if I'd continued shooting with my original FM2n and never laid hands on the F3P that replaced it.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin