Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,859   Online: 990

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikon N90S vs F100

I own 2 N90s's and I think they are awesome. One has a data back, and both have the MB10 battery adapter. But I see so many raves about the F100 that I am wondering what I am missing. I am also drawn to possibly spending money that I don't have to buy an F100, even though I have more 35mm Nikons than fingers on my hands.

As far as I can tell, looking at the specs, the F100 as a matter of fact and logic doesn't have much that the F90s doesn't, at least that I would use -- except for multiple autofocus sensors.

So I would love to hear from those of you who own both models, to give me your two cents' worth as to what I am missing, if anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the N75 and F100. The F100 is the best 35mm camera that Nikon made. Move advanced than the F4. The F5 added weight for an unneeded motor drive and excess weight for ballast.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't own both models, but when I finally decided to get my first autofocus camera I first bought a N90s, decided I didn't like it and went with the considerably (to me) more expensive F100 instead. Off the top of my head, I can remember the following differences:

-- I found the ergonomics of the F100 to be far more to my tastes than the N90s. That's purely subjective.
    -- The F100 has a 96% viewfinder, the N90s has a 92% finder.
    -- In manual mode, the F100 gives you two stops of metering feedback instead of just one.
    -- The F100 allows you to set aperture in 1/3 stops on the camera instead of using the aperture ring. This also means it can use "G" lenses in manual or aperture priority mode.
    -- The F100 supports VR
    -- In S or P mode, the depth of field preview on the N90s always stops down to the minimum aperture. The F100 will stop down to the indicated aperture.
    -- The F100 has a command dial on the vertical grip. (Not an issue for me, I don't own the grip!)
    -- The F100 can autobracket with the standard back.
    -- The F100 has Slightly more advanced matrix metering (Okay, I looked it up...10-segment vs. 8-segment)
    -- I think the F100's shutter is rated for more shots.

Is it worth "trading up" at this late date? I'd say the two best reasons are a) VR, and b) is if you also shoot Nikon dSLR's. I find switching between the F100, D200, and D800 to be quite easy, with the controls falling to hand naturally. Nikon's also made some excellent new lenses in the last few years, but with the exception of the PC-E lenses they are all "G" designs without aperture rings.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I perfer the controls on the n90s. It's more traditional.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Looking at benveniste's very informative comments (for which thank you), there isn't much that would be important to me right now, although some things that might be down the road.

- Ergonomics: I have a D70 and D100, similar to the F100 - but I really like the hold and feel of the N90s, even though different.
    - 96% vs 92% viewfinder; blah.
    - metering feedback; I'm kind of used to my Nikkormats, so any feedback is a bonus.
    - aperture stops: this is useful when using AF lenses, but I doubt it applies to AI lenses, and most of mine currently are AI. And for some reason, I dislike G lenses even though I have some; they just seem incomplete!
    - I don't have any VR lenses -- yet
    - I seldom use S or P mode
    the rest is not important to me; and the N90s can autobracket with the data back, which I have

I guess there are some differences that could become important to me down the road, which will keep alive my desire to acquire an F100 with money I don't have. But thus far, I'm encouraged that for me at least, I'm probably not missing too much.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    ...looking at the specs, the F100 as a matter of fact and logic doesn't have much that the F90s doesn't...what I am missing...I'm probably not missing too much.
    As a matter of fact and logic you would appear to be correct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two F100s. Both with vertical grip. In my opinion The F100 has the best ergonomics among the Nikon film cameras with or without the grip.
    The metering is great. Build like a tank. It works with all of my newest lenses too.

I also have an F5. I prefer the F5 when the weight and size are not an issue. The strong AF a big plus for my D lenses. It also has a self checking system. If you will looking for new toy in the future, go with the F5. You will save on gym fee too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have had 4 N90s, still have 1, have an F100, and an F5 too.

The biggest practical differences I have found between the N90s and the F100 are the grip and being able to focus with the AF ON button. The F100 is nicer to hold and for me focusing with my thumb rather than my index finger is really special. Beyond that the N90s has been every bit as capable a camera, IMO.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Like most of the posts here I too like the F100. I have used most of Nikon's AF cameras since they first came onto the market and the F100 is perhaps the best of them all. The metering is as near perfect as you could wish for. I have yet to loose a Colour Transparency through faulty exposure (Other reasons yes, but not exposure). The F90 I found a little awkward to hold and didn't fit my (rather large) hands very easily. The motor was noisy and so was the focussing.

If there was to be an improvement needed for the F100 then I would ask for a full frame viewfinder like the F4/5/6 models, plus an easier way of attaching the remote release, it is too cramped for me to get a good purchase on the locking collar.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 01-14-2013 at 09:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon N90S vs F100

I also find the F100 remote release tricky to attach. This bothers me because I use a remote for most of my shots. I tend to use the F100 less because of that issue.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin