Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,200   Online: 802

Shooter
    35mm

Canon Experts - is this what I think it is? When was it made?

This came in some ebay stuff:

It appears to be an M42 to Canon breech lock adapter.

It appears to offer automatic diaphragm operation with M42 lenses.

It looks pretty old. I have never seen one of these before. M42 to Canon adapters are common, but not this one. Was this an official Canon product? What era was it made in? Any ideas are appreciated.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does the breech lock look like anything Canon made? I say no.

(By the way: "M42 to Canon" is ambiguous without seeing or knowing the bayonet. Or is there a common rule like "lens first-body second" ? I'm just curious.)
    Last edited by AgX; 01-17-2013 at 05:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm guessing that you have never seen a Canon breech lock mount?

If there is another similar mount, forgive me. It could be something else given the age and how many companies came and went way back when.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No Canon FD or FL lens with such a wavy outer of the breech lock.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like a type Canon FL/FD breech lock. (The shape and location of the recesses and the location of the diaphragm activator.)

The only thing I tried to say is that its outer design does not fit to those made by Canon I've seen.
    The same for its partially dark colour.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-17-2013 at 06:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the comments. I do believe it was not made by Canon, however I'm pretty certain now it is for the Canon FL mount. Given the "zebra" pattern my best guess is that it was made in the 1960s. By who I have no idea. It's a pretty clever little bit though.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And this is the only M42 adapter to Canon FL/FD body that got a coupling for the automatic diaphragm?

Shooter
    35mm
    So far as I know. I have not been able to find any reference to such an adapter anywhere yet. Plenty of M42/Canon adapters out there, but none with this ramp/plunger arrangement.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've never seen anything like it. But I dont know of any canon bodies that have just-in-time or during-exposure metering. So you still are stuck with manual stop-down metering.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin