Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,134   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Any Nikon 43-86mm users?

Yeah I know, this wasn't one of Nikons great lenses, but I've always seemed to have one or two around. It's a weird focal length, based on 43mm being the perfect normal lens for 35mm cameras I guess. I picked up an original model off my shelf, and got to thinking, should I try to shoot this again? It's been years since I've used this, as I use the newer designed ai lens if I decide to use one. Zoom lenses have changed a lot since then, but this was a nicely built lens, fairly small, push-pull zoom-focus in one ring, and a constant 3.5 aperture.
    I actually compared the two lenses years ago when I picked up the newer model, and was surprised at the difference! The older lens was much softer around the edges, even when stopped down a couple of stops. But I do remember using this to an advantage when taking portraits wide open at 86mm. The newer design is a much better lens, but I think the damage to the lenses reputation was already done, as nobody ever seems to have anything good to say about either of them.

Does anybody still use this lens, and if so what do you think about it?

Shooter
    35mm
    I received the newer, non-AI version of this lens for Christmas. I've shot one roll with it as the exclusive lens and I think it's ok... not exceptional, but certainly worth using. I may fool around with it some more on my D3000 before passing final judgement though.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an AI version of this lens and use it once in a while. I find the results to be quite good. I usually shot more in the f8 - f5.6 range.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to have one about twenty five years ago when it was the only lens I had for a Nikon FG.

This was back when I only owned one camera (hard to imagine now!).

I still have the FG but not the lens.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The newer Ai version is much better than the older one, but the older one has its charm especially with the older ladies. Clinically sharp is not always welcome.
    Also remember that Bob Guccione used one extensively in his "coverage" as his main lens in the 1970's magazine Penthouse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Years ago, when there weren't any other wide to normal or wide to tele zooms, I heard that it was a popular lens with photojournalists because you tweak your framing without "zooming with your feet", which isn't always feasible.

Shooter
    35mm
    The original 43-86mm was the first lens I used extensively while learning photography as a teenager in the late 80s (it was the only lens in my Dad's Nikon F kit that he would usually let me use). I got my own Nikon F in 1992, when I was in college, and it came with a 50mm f/2 Nikkor, which frankly blows the socks off the zoom. But I did like the 43-86 and made some fairly nice pictures with it. We still have it, and that particular example flares easily, is not sharp, and has some noticeable distortion of straight lines, especially at close distances (or maybe it's just more noticeable then). Now I prefer the 35-105mm Nikkor for a general-purpose zoom, and that's the only lens I have for my F3.

There are a few older threads on APUG discussing this lens; just search 43-86 and you should find more info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Any Nikon 43-86mm users?

Yeah lots of discussion on this lens here earlier.

Bottom line is if you're going to shoot test charts and use a tripod and enlarge to full size and sharpness is your most important aspect then consider a different lens. If you'll use it mostly for shooting and taking nice photos then its not a bad lens at all:

-----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm

Any Nikon 43-86mm users?

I had one of the older versions, and funnily enough it was used on an F that I had in the late 80's/early 90's. I thought the image quality was very poor. I didn't have much spare cash at the time, but thought that investing in a Nikon branded lens was the best option. I persevered with it for a while, but the poor image quality was very frustrating. I now have various other Nikon lenses, most of which are excellent. (although I still don't have a lot of spare cash!).

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i've never seen older ladies in a penthouse magazine. anyway, i replaced mine with a nikkor 35-70f/3.3-4.5, which s terrible at any fstopeven oon my d800.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin