Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,542   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Rangefinder vs. SLR

Not that i have the money now anyway, but one likes to dream ... No? I love my FE2 and FA2 and nikkor ai-s lenses. As well as my canon canonette QL-17. Someday, with some debts paid down, I'd like to get a small collection of Zeiss lenses for my nikons OR pick up a Bessa Voiglander rangefinder and a small collection of zeiss and leica lenses. SO nikon SLR or Bessa rangefinder?
    What do you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You could always get a Nikon Rangefinder
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianentz View Post
    I love my FE2 and FA2 and nikkor ai-s lenses.
    I think you already have an answer...

Me, I'd do the Bessa and Zeiss.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    35mm
    SO nikon SLR or Bessa rangefinder? What do you think?
    Opinions on what could be a multi-thousand dollar expenditure despite the gallery knowing nothing about your interests/preferences/subject-matter other than owning the three cameras you noted? The question sounds like a poll, answers to which are unique to each individual and their circumstances. What are yours? Without your background info opinions mean...I don't know, do they have much value? Well, anyway...perhaps I can demonstrate. Bessa.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I purchased both an SLR and a rangefinder for different purposes. It really depends on what you like to shoot. The SLR gets used for close up, macro or longer telephoto. The rangefinder comes out for shooting street scenes and some landscape/cityscape scenes. Of course you can always get a rangefinder because you want one.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What are you going to use the camera for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photography can be and often is, two or more different hobbies. Taking pictures, sometimes including processing, printing and "Collecting" gear. It can be both of these or either one.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SO nikon SLR or Bessa rangefinder?
    What do you think?
    If I ever reached that stage in life when I had to decide between two camera systems that I did not need, I would simply get them both.

However, I would get a Leica rangefinder instead of a Bessa.

Heck, now that I think about it, I would get a Leica and a Bessa.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/8135993200/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pro Cameras 002_filtered b sml.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	62857
    Last edited by narsuitus; 01-18-2013 at 11:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Back in the day, when I shot film as a professional, the flash sync on my Mamiya C330 crashed in the middle of an assignment at night. I had to revert to hand-holding my just CLA'd Contax I at 1/5 second on a 50/2.8 Tessar. Upon inspection of the contacts, the 35mm shots all sold and none of the 2-1/4 shots. I've since been hooked on Zeiss lenses and still use my "modern" Contax IIA. There is very little sound or vibration and the pictures can be spectacular. While there is a slight parallax difference compared to the SLR's, I'd go all the way with RF and Zeiss.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So much is down to personal preference in these things that other people's opinions are kind of meaningless in making the decision for yourself.

That said, when weighed against the cost of Zeiss and Leica lenses, the cost of a Bessa body is a drop in the bucket. If you find yourself in a position to sink some money into high-end lenses, it seems like kind of a no-brainer to get a Bessa body and find out if the 35mm rangefinder gestalt really lights you up.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin