Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,176   Online: 1243

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    The Lab or ABC Colour for my E6, my "guest bathroom" for all my black and white processing and printing. The frequency of each, however, depends upon my "productivity."
    ABC for me for my E6 and C41 120.

Although technically the E6 is actually done by CustomColour, since ABC didn't buy G King's E6 machine or move theirs when they changed locations.

I get my odd roll of 35mm C41 developed down the street at London Drugs.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanCarlson View Post
    How often do you use a lab?
    What is the ratio of what you process to what you have a lab process?
    I use a lab for all my 8mm B&W reversal cine film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only place for C-41 is Walmart, at least half of my rolls would have trash on them. So now only color is digital and all b/w 35 and 120 done at home.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My little closet darkroom is beginning to take shape. I will start with RA-4 up to 8" with a re-geared RCP-20 and from there I plan to use a Unicolor drum and agitator for occasional larger prints using drift-by temperature control in the kitchen. After that a water bath C-41 set up. So at the moment it is 100% lab but weaning myself step-by-step.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

I process everything myself, I last brought some C-41 to a lab on an important Photoshoot I needed quickly, when I usually wait for stuff to pile up so I can run the chemistry to exhaustion.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have not used my local lab for around a year now. Starting last summer I got the Tetenal C-41 kit and ran around 4 120 rolls and 2 or 3 35mm rolls through it within 3 weeks of getting the chemicals. The more I did it the better I got, and the improvement was noticable. I got tired of my lab doing average at best scanning, and of course the price was rising but I don't shoot that much but I was spending alot of time traveling to the lab.

There was a lot of enjoyment in being on the edge of my abilities (I thought) developing film. I am ready for E-6 now.....ready to play with slides for awhile. Doing one's homework and getting everything prepared to go for me was the key. After that it was just waiting for the buzzer to go off on my timer to change liquids.......simple.

My two cents is if you are really considering developing at home, then please consider this.....one of those new JOBO processors. I know they are pricey, but if you are processing film alot, I think by the time you figure all the gas you burn to the lab, time, ect, ect, your breakeven point may suprise you.......at how soon it comes. I know personally, if I had one of those Jobo processors, I would be shooting way more film than I am now which isn't much right now.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBob View Post
    I have not used my local lab for around a year now. Starting last summer I got the Tetenal C-41 kit and ran around 4 120 rolls and 2 or 3 35mm rolls through it within 3 weeks of getting the chemicals. The more I did it the better I got, and the improvement was noticable. I got tired of my lab doing average at best scanning, and of course the price was rising but I don't shoot that much but I was spending alot of time traveling to the lab.

There was a lot of enjoyment in being on the edge of my abilities (I thought) developing film. I am ready for E-6 now.....ready to play with slides for awhile. Doing one's homework and getting everything prepared to go for me was the key. After that it was just waiting for the buzzer to go off on my timer to change liquids.......simple.

My two cents is if you are really considering developing at home, then please consider this.....one of those new JOBO processors. I know they are pricey, but if you are processing film alot, I think by the time you figure all the gas you burn to the lab, time, ect, ect, your breakeven point may suprise you.......at how soon it comes. I know personally, if I had one of those Jobo processors, I would be shooting way more film than I am now which isn't much right now.

Bob E.
    Don't the JOBO processors take just as much time to process the film as any hand tank?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Every time I need colour negatives developed and printed.

I will probably try developing my own at some point but at £6 for a 36 exposure roll I don't think it's a bad deal. Plus it means that the lab is likely to stay open rather than abandoning film completely. The more places on the high street where you can buy film and have it processed the more people will get into it.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once a year when I get my physical. I don't like messing with blood. ;>)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't use labs. I have a darkroom. I mix chemicals from scratch for C41 and RA4 (and d76 for b&w film). Hey, maybe that makes me a lab. I AM LAB...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin