Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,523   Online: 1209

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by m1tch View Post
    This is Don McCullin's camera, hes a war photography, his Nikon F stopped a bullet from killing him, I think it still works, it doesn't really matter what the camera looks like as long as it is still able to take a photo

Ummm Yeah. I'm familiar with that legend.
    Unfortunately, the camera didn't stop a bullet, it deflected it. Judging from the damage to the camera,(the left top cover doesn't have much behind it where the bullet struck, the cover is fairly thin brass) the projectile's energy was just about spent - you could have done more damage to the camera by launching a bullet with a decent slingshot.
    So saying "stopped a bullet from killing him" just isn't very accurate, although it's nicely dramatic and makes a good legend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^^picky, picky, picky. Still didn't kill him did it? Which begets the question of would it have killed him if the camera wasn't there?
    Guess we'll never know. Bullets have been stopped/deflected by just a herd of unlikely objects, from buttons to bibles.
    When it's your time, it's your time.

If a tree falls in the forest (on you), does it make a noise?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you could have done more damage to the camera by launching a bullet with a decent slingshot.
    I seriously doubt it. The area on the top-plate is totally tweaked and penetrated. You're probably not going to do that with a slingshot other than one of those crazy ones. While I don't disagree that the bullet probably wouldn't have killed him if it had slowed down by that point - but the point is his camera took a bullet while in the process of documenting a war. No reason to minimize that or get pedantic over it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fender make brand new custom guitars costing several thousand $ that they call heavy relics http://www.fender.com/en-GB/custom-s...c-masterbuilt/
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Battle scars are a badge of honor Means that you use your camera.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    There's that pair of Levi's that stopped a bullet with its Brass button.

Brass is brass! If I was the OP, I'd shoot the camera until it'd get completely brassy. And then I'd burn it with Gasoline and I'd throw it at a Hell's angel's Harley Davidson just for the sake of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I seriously doubt it. The area on the top-plate is totally tweaked and penetrated. You're probably not going to do that with a slingshot other than one of those crazy ones. While I don't disagree that the bullet probably wouldn't have killed him if it had slowed down by that point - but the point is his camera took a bullet while in the process of documenting a war. No reason to minimize that or get pedantic over it.
    Nor is there any good reason to maximise and dramatise it to the point of unreality, hence my post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    ^^^picky, picky, picky. Still didn't kill him did it? Which begets the question of would it have killed him if the camera wasn't there?
    Guess we'll never know. Bullets have been stopped/deflected by just a herd of unlikely objects, from buttons to bibles.
    When it's your time, it's your time.

If a tree falls in the forest (on you), does it make a noise?
    Of course, and so would I.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 06-17-2013 at 09:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin