Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,470   Online: 876

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

when the black paint from the black camaras bodies

Hi guys!

Do you know if there are some professional products or one effective way in order to cover / paint the scratches or the nake metal points in the old black bodies of the cameras.
    My "new" Nikon F3 body has many scratches and many parts without paint...
    how can I cover these cosmetic imperfections!!!...I don't like it at all.
    If i use a normal black pen (like the pen to write on the plastic of the cd)...it's very ugle because the two blacks aren't similar...and with the time the balck of the pen disappears...lefting the scratches and metal of the body visible.please help me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any paint that would be durable enough for constant use would probably have to be baked on. Really not practical. Professional photographers look upon such wear as a badge of honor. Cameras are for taking pictures not to look pretty.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My wife has an old black Nikkormat Ftn that looks like it was dragged behind a truck down a gravel road. It's all dented and about 30% of the black is missing. She won't let me or anyone else touch it. She says it shows its history and has character. She also thinks it makes her look more professional, not that she is, because the camera looks very used. So you could go that route.
    Or, you could try to find some Kodak black brushing lacquer, although I'm not sure they make it anymore. Or, get a can of satin or flat black spray paint, and spray a little in the cap. Then using a small brush do your touch up. Have some mineral spirits on hand for quick clean up, as the stuff dries fast. Follow up the paint with a little car wax to even out the lack of gloss if needed. I gave up on my F3s looks a long time ago, as the touch up wears off fairly quick. Good luck, and just have fun with the camera and your photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

when the black paint from the black camaras bodies

You know, it's funny because a camera was announced this week that has a brass top plate specifically to develop brassing! This is very much a feature of this camera.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Henry, you used some brand names, people in other parts of the world don't know.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have seen someone do a complete repaint of a black Spotmatic before now. He wanted a black one but all the examples he found were really rough and overpriced for their condition, so he picked up a scuffed but undented chrome one as a donor.

The other important thing (aside from getting the old finish off - he had the panels blasted with very fine grit after removing them from the camera) is to use an etch primer on brass. If you don't then the paint will probably fall off later on. Use normal automotive spray paints for the black and the lacquer - you can usually buy satin or matte finish lacquer. If it can handle being outside in all weathers for decades then it'll cope with being on a camera.

I find normal model acrylic paints and a fine brush are the best bet for redoing the markings afterwards. Try giving the panels a thin coat of lacquer first to seal the black paint, that way you can wash the acrylic off if it goes completely pear shaped (and use a fingernail to scrape any small excess off). Add another coat of lacquer after to seal it all in and then reassemble the camera.

I don't worry too much about brassing but I will touch up the markings. Just because I don't like it when they're half worn off. Same goes for the Pentax M series lens caps with the raised lettering - the silver paint wears off and I generally redo it in the same way. Needs a steady hand but as I'm using acrylics I can just give it a scrub in warm soapy water if it goes wrong.
    Last edited by PentaxBronica; 01-18-2013 at 03:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format

Camera Patina..

My Rollei 3.5F has patina. True.. cosmedically it's not perfect, but once I get back Fleenor it will operate to near perfection. I think Patina on cameras look pretty cool.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In Europe: www.micro-tools.de ; "sub-category Farbe/Lacke/Farbstifte".
    Outside Europe: www.micro-tools.com ; sub-category "Paint".

Glossy paint, matte paint, paint to repair engraved numbers on lenses: it's all there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I like brassy cameras,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120158_zps5578a9c2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	62885

Name:	7c4314a1ed0ed9f912ca4712ec4faa49.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	722.1 KB 
ID:	62886

Name:	P1120546.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	62887

Shooter
    35mm
    I had my camera repair guy take off the top and bottom plates of a Pentax Spotmatic for me. I took them and the associated small parts to a plating shop where I had them "black chromed". Then, the camera shop guy re-assembled them for me. You heard the story that you have one body for color and the other for B&W? Right.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin