Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,273   Online: 849

Shooter
    35mm

Load Capacity and Ballheads

I'm a bit confused on load capacity and ball heads. From my research, some ball heads such as this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ith_Quick.html have a respectively light weight capacity (15lbs for Kirk BH-3 - rated for an SLR with zooms attached) and is priced at $285. Others, such as this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html have an outrageously high weight capacity (66lbs for the Induro and priced similarly).

With the Induro, why would anyone ever need a 66 pound weight capacity and how is that even possible with a 1.1lb ball head? Secondly, why such a huge discrepancy between the two? Kirk only makes a few ballheads and their load capacities are no where near Induro. I mean, a Hasselblad with a 50mm lens (which would be my max weight) weighs no more than maybe 5-6 pounds.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is also important to get a quality (non China, etc) ball head. The Arca Swiss or the USA made ones are really worth the extra cost. The inferior ones will have or soon have "creep" when clamping or locking down, JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Of course those using larger cameras need larger load specs, 8X10 cameeras for example. but also for loads that are not right over the centre of gravity put much more torque on the system so extra strength is needed. I have recently acquired a flm ball head rated at 60 Kg. Best thing since sliced bread.
    http://www.flm-gmbh.com/en/article2.html
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is absolutely NO STANDARD regarding weight capacity statements made by tripod manufacturers or ballhead manufacturers. Look at Gitzo 25xx tripod capacity claims, then look at a photo of a 150+ pound person perched on top of one...proof of no correlation to nothing.

Shooter
    35mm
    wiltw -

My point exactly!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    There is absolutely NO STANDARD regarding weight capacity statements made by tripod manufacturers or ballhead manufacturers. Look at Gitzo 25xx tripod capacity claims, then look at a photo of a 150+ pound person perched on top of one...proof of no correlation to nothing.
    +100

It's just marketing. Buy a head from a company you trust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even if it isn't "just marketing", it is unreliable, because there are no standardized tests.

If you see something that interests you, I'd suggest posting a thread here asking if others have that ballhead, what cameras and lenses they use it with, and how well it performs?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin