Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,806   Online: 971

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have 2 F100 bodies and my 2.8 28-105 Tamron works fine with one and sometimes or sometimes not with the other. Something in the communication between body and lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    What camera mode are you using?
    Lens locked to smallest aperture (f22 in this case), pressing "Mode" and rotating command dial through all modes doesn't affect anything, still displays fEE. I originally purchased the Sigmas back when I ventured into Dig, with an D100. They work fine on it and on the N90s, which one would think it pretty a pretty darn close relative to the F100. I guess close does only count in horseshoes.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well that's disappointing.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I think definitely a lens/camera communication issue. I had this with a Sigma 28-300 which was part of a used kit, and I promptly sold the lens.

I know Sigma makes some nice lenses, but over the years I have had two Sigmas of which both gave me mechanical failures. Since then, I just avoid Sigmas totally. I have also found in some cases that although the Sigmas are often just as sharp as the Nikkor counterparts, they tend to suffer more from other lens flaws, like CA and distortion. They have quality control issues. Some people say as many as 1 in 3 Sigmas are misaligned or have a similar problem. The inconsistency is what irks me. That means you have to be very careful buying them used, and as a result means they have much lower used value. The Sigmas' aperture ring runs on a little steel ball that clicks into grooves on the inside of the ring. Once that mechanism gets damaged, it is a nightmare to get permanently repaired, as it simply finds a way to slip out again every so often. The rubber and paint on older Sigmas turns into glue at some point. Most Nikkors will last longer than a lifetime if you look after them carefully. A good Sigma might last 15 or 20 years, if you are careful and treat it well. Anything longer than that, and you are in a grace period.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would not confirm the statement that "most Nikkors will last longer than a lifetime if you look after them carefully." This might be true for the professional zooms like the 2,8/20-35, 17-35, 28-70 or 80-200 but surely not for the Thailand- or China made consumer plastic rattle zooms.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Not that I needed it, but could not pass up an F100 body. I tried my Sigma EX Aspherical 28-70mm on but it doesn't like it. Too bad as I have that lens as well as a 24mm and 70-200mm that work fine on my N90s. I have a Nikon G AF 28-80 which works fine, but I'm not particularly fond of the G lenses. Any insights or experience with the F100 and compatible lens options would be appreciated. Off to do some searching.
    Some 'after market' non makers lenses have a reputation for not being compatible with more 'modern cameras and this may be the case with yours. The circuitry may not be quite what the lens/camera combination needs.

I have a Nikon D300 as well as my F models and one of my lenses a 400 F4 Tokina will not focus with the D300 at all. Manually it will but autofocus - NO! The same can be said about the Sigma 70-300 too, on the film cameras it is fine but at 300mm with the D300 it is useless unless used manually.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    Since then, I just avoid Sigmas totally...... The rubber and paint on older Sigmas turns into glue at some point.
    +1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used few Sigmas in the past, mainly with an F100, and only kept the 70mm f2.8 EX macro which is a brilliant lens. The others where OK mechanically, but they're just not all that optically. It is the EX that differentiate a good Sigma from a bad Sigma!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The following Sigma lenses work flawlessly for me on the F100: 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, 150mm f/2.8 EX Macro APO DG HSM, 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG, 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG , 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO HSM and 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG APO HSM.
    I have two F100 bodies, two F4 bodies and a D700 and haven't experienced any issues with any of the different cameras.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100 | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    The Sigmas are notorious for having chips in there that just dont play nicely across the board.
    I've seen this nmost often with Canon but it stands to reason the same problems exists.
    I've also seen this with Sigma and a variety of camera brands.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin