Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,063   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Quick Change Lens Bag?

Hello,

I am currently in search for the perfect camera bag (you know how that goes) and in particular i'm looking for a quick change lens bag. Specifically for portrait or event shoots, where I can pop the lens off, throw it in the bag, slap another on quickly, freely, and without worry of damaging the lens. I've been mainly using smallish primes, but if such a bag works well, i'll want to use it with my Hasselblad system lenses as well. I do plan on buying some big zooms if I ever get the money, so the bag needs to be able to accommodate those as well. I keep UV filters on all my lenses, so I dont usually worry about the front element, however, when quickly changing lenses, I don't want to have to be constantly messing about with rear lens caps... But at the same time, i don't want to be moving quickly at an event and damage one of my favorite (and likely expensive) lenses.

Any suggestions?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll watch this to see if such a bag exists, but currently, I would never stow a lens without caps at both ends, nor a camera body with no body cap. Perhaps I'm just a bit too cautious.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I'll watch this to see if such a bag exists, but currently, I would never stow a lens without caps at both ends, nor a camera body with no body cap. Perhaps I'm just a bit too cautious.
    I am also that way, but it adds to increased slowness during shoots. For portrait shoots, while getting in the way, its doable, but not so much for event or faster moving shoots. I'm trying to be less about the gear and more about the images lately (whats the point in having great lenses if they never see their potential?) but at the same time, I don't want to damage anything by acting moronic.

I found something which is SORT OF what I'm looking for... I'm certainly not looking for some sort of full body vest/harness with an array of pouches and camera holsters... That would impede my style of shooting.

Any thoughts on this bag? http://shootsac.com/shootsaclensbag.aspx
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I finally decided after many years that 'fast' and 'lens change' do not belong in the same sentence.

Those two bags look OK for big lenses but what about small primes? Wouldn't they drop to the bottom of the hole?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I see it, there is only 2 solutions. The preferred one that I use is get extra bodies on the lens I need most. Probably, that would be no more than 3 or 4. An alternate solution, which I don't use, but would consider, is get several cheap lens, that if get some damage, dust, scratch, would not make me cry.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Look up the Lowepro S&F Lens Exchange Case 200 AW. It's designed for exactly what you want to do.

Only thing is that it's pretty big. It's designed for current top end zooms (the great white drainpipes) so older film lenses will be lost in it!

Now, if they made one about the size of their Lens Case 1S I could definitely find a use for it...
    Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you really need this feature, at the exclusion of much else, I think the best way to go is something like ThinkTank's belt system (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...s-pouches.aspx). The trade-offs are pretty obvious- it's not really a camera bag anymore, you will look like a sports photographer, and there is always some risk with a system like this.

I try to do multiple bodies to avoid lens changes, but that isn't always a possibility.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I am shooting at a wedding or engagement session I carry 2 bodies, 1 has a fast 50, the other a zoom. When I need to break out the wide I switch out the zoom for a wide and put away the zoom without caps. Then when I am ready to switch back I can do so extremely easily and quickly. Caps just get in the way. If you are shooting on a job you should be worried about the shots and not the gear in my opinion. That's just my $0.02.
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I prefer the thinktank retro wayyyyy more than that shootsac.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin