Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,738   Posts: 1,515,535   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Prematurely unwinding a roll of film on FE2

If you were to take 10 images on 50 speed film, for example, and then needed to use fast film, 800 speed for instance - could you unwind the partially used roll of 50 speed and then put it back in at a later point?

Just curious about this. I read that you could, but I can't figure out how you would know when to stop winding, so as not to wind the film entirely into the roll, thus rendering the whole thing useless.

I use a Nikon FE2.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can, but you need to hear/feel when the film disconnects from the take-up spool, and just wind about an extra inch.
    When you reload it, advance it (by shooting) for an extra 2 frames past where you stopped. Use the fastest shutter speed, stopped down all the way, with the lens cap on.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    If you were to take 10 images on 50 speed film, for example, and then needed to use fast film, 800 speed for instance - could you unwind the partially used roll of 50 speed and then put it back in at a later point?

Just curious about this. I read that you could, but I can't figure out how you would know when to stop winding, so as not to wind the film entirely into the roll, thus rendering the whole thing useless.

I use a Nikon FE2.

Thanks!
    Yes you can. Take a note of the frame counter and write down what number it's on. When rewinding listen and feel for it coming off the take-up spool and then stop rewinding. But even if the leader goes back into the cassette, you can extract it with a leader extractor. When putting it back, put a lens cap on the camera and wind on and shoot to a couple of frames past where you took it out.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure, that can be done. When you take the roll out make darn sure you don't roll the leader into the cassette. You can hear the leader coming off of the takeoff spool if you are rewinding slow enough and listening carefully. You can also feel it come off (the tension on the rewind knob will release "all of the sudden"). Then be darn sure to mark the roll with the last exposure number. Then when you put it back into the camera at a later date make darn sure that you are advancing the film in the dark (and/or with a cap, and/or at the fastest shutter speed and smallest aperture) toensure you don't doubleexpose the previously used part of hte film. Also... it is good to "waste some film" and go one or two frames beyond where you left off to ensure you don't have overlapping frames.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... eddie and clive must type a lot faster than do I.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian- Timing is everything... On the bright side, this is one of the few threads where the responses all agree!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you do this with film that is going to be developed by a lab, and are expecting a lab to either return the film in smaller, sleeved strips or, in the case of slides, mounted for projection it is a good idea to leave a note that you have done so.

Labs shouldn't have trouble with frame lines that are inconsistent, but .....
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    You can recover the film leader if it gets pulled into the cartridge. You need a film leader retriever. I know some people haven't had any luck with them but the Kaiser one I use never needs more than a couple of tries to do the job (usually works first time).
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    You can recover the film leader if it gets pulled into the cartridge. You need a film leader retriever. I know some people haven't had any luck with them but the Kaiser one I use never needs more than a couple of tries to do the job (usually works first time).
    Yes, Kaiser are very good and using one is just a knack (a bit like safe cracking). If it doesn't work first time it will after a few attemps. The problem is if you don't know how to use them and the plastic gets bent.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF

Prematurely unwinding a roll of film on FE2

I do this quite a bit. I was always taught never to allow the leader to disappear into the case to stop light leaking in (especially with well used hand rolled films). It also allows you to put the weight on the film before you go into the dark to open the canister. Just tear the leader if you have finished the film to stop you shooting it twice.
    Only downside is loosing some exposures as others have said.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin