Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,977   Online: 809

View Poll Results: Your age is?

Voters
377. You may not vote on this poll
  • Babycakes

0 0%
  • Teens

9 2.39%
  • Twenties

47 12.47%
  • Thirties

65 17.24%
  • Forties

79 20.95%
  • Fifties

89 23.61%
  • Sixties

63 16.71%
  • Seventies

22 5.84%
  • Eighties

3 0.80%
  • Nineties

0 0%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=StoneNYC;1451027]The oldest guy mostly shoots digital, what does that say about the rest of us dinosaurs?

~Stone

Old fashion.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I'm 52. My Nikon F is 45, Nikkormat FtN is 42 (that's my 'new' camera ), my Deardorff V8 was made in 1950, Linhof STIV 1959; I have and use lenses made from 1904/5 to 1971. I do use mostly fresh chemicals and color films, but I'm currently using Tri-X in 8x10 that has been stored frozen since 1989.
    Hmm my Voigtländer Bergheil is from 1933 (Wauv it turns eighty this year) And no thats not my "New" camera
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was born F.D.R was the U.S President, and Neville Chamberlain was the British prime minister.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I want more people over 50 voting, so that it makes me feel younger.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Respect to all you septua- and octogenarians in here! If I ever get to that age, I probably won't be able to eat without assistance, let alone carry a camera.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm in my late 20s, and have recently started loving 35mm. I got into film with a Holga (like many of my generation), and shortly thereafter, a beautiful Rolleiflex Automat. Later I acquired a Fed-2 and a Chaika-1, which have become a couple of my favourite cameras, and introduced me to 35mm. Now I've got a Kiev-19, Nikon F2, Argus C3, Recesky, Hasselblad 500C/M, and I know I'm missing a couple in there . . . Camera Acquisition Disorder, I guess . . .

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

How old is everyone here in 35mm land?

Quote Originally Posted by sehrgut View Post
    I'm in my late 20s, and have recently started loving 35mm. I got into film with a Holga (like many of my generation), and shortly thereafter, a beautiful Rolleiflex Automat. Later I acquired a Fed-2 and a Chaika-1, which have become a couple of my favourite cameras, and introduced me to 35mm. Now I've got a Kiev-19, Nikon F2, Argus C3, Recesky, Hasselblad 500C/M, and I know I'm missing a couple in there . . . Camera Acquisition Disorder, I guess . . .
    See just like I've been saying all the people who put down Lomo, look it brought out a real photo user, so Lomo can turn into something more. I never once used a Lomo/Holga type camera but I can see the trend since I'm no longer in my 20's and started when I was 12

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I still like the "toy camera" aesthetic, but only in its place. The Holga was the last toy I purchased with "real camera" money . . . I want toys to cost "play money" (like the $9.99 Recesky). All these $50-$100 "crap on purpose" cameras seem silly to me . . .

And besides, I have more rolls to put through the Hassy! :-D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Remember inflation, 9.99 IS $50... I can actually remember when it cost $10 to fill the tank, now it's $60 ...

Anyway, ya know something occurred to me looking at the graph... the harsh drop off in the number of film users after 50 may actually have more to do with technology and the internet and there may be many film shooters who just don't know about us because they aren't on the internet. The saddest part, is I'm sure many of them will slowly stop using film, not because they want to move to digital, but because their local photo stores slowly stop selling film...

I ACTUALLY went into a photo store in a high end neighborhood, the owner was out but I inquired about the old cameras in the display window, that I wanted to examine (it was an RB67 and I was designing a integral polaroid back for it) and they kept thinking I wanted to buy it, and said "why? you can't even buy film anymore" I said they still sell 35mm and 120 and he said "well the medium format and large stuff they stopped making, there's just left over stock, I wouldn't put my money into that, digital is way better anyway" I just stared at him, here's a photo store who doesn't even know they still make 120 let alone LF and I can't say it enough... this is a photo store.... wow... so people like that are also killers of film or the idea of it. This was before I found APUG and I actually was really disheartened because I believed him for a little while... sad...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    ... the harsh drop off in the number of film users after 50 may actually have more to do with technology and the internet and there may be many film shooters who just don't know about us because they aren't on the internet....
    I know that this is true. I've met a number of older film photographers who are not on the internet and don't care to be. Not long ago I was at a wedding and the bride's grandmother and I got to talking. She collects cameras and has been a photographer her whole life. After the wedding, she was planning to spend time on the North California coast, chosen specifically as a photo trip. I would love to see her photos, but she doesn't even have email.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin