Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,488   Posts: 1,571,321   Online: 869

View Poll Results: Your age is?

Voters
377. You may not vote on this poll
  • Babycakes

0 0%
  • Teens

9 2.39%
  • Twenties

47 12.47%
  • Thirties

65 17.24%
  • Forties

79 20.95%
  • Fifties

89 23.61%
  • Sixties

63 16.71%
  • Seventies

22 5.84%
  • Eighties

3 0.80%
  • Nineties

0 0%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    See just like I've been saying all the people who put down Lomo, look it brought out a real photo user, so Lomo can turn into something more. I never once used a Lomo/Holga type camera but I can see the trend since I'm no longer in my 20's and started when I was 12

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    hi stone

sorry to pick at what you said, but i think that lomo / lo-fi / holga users ARE real photo users. there is no difference between "them" and the people who spend $4K on
    a ebony 4x5 camera. "they" just don't buy into the whole "its gotta be expensive to be a camera" thing.
    for people who don't "get" the holga thing, they should take a look at the work of victor milin. his holga / lo-fi work is mind-blowing ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    56, and started collecting cameras at 40. That got me into mixing and designing my own developers. I turned 13 in 1969, so I caught the end of the age of innocence in America. Started photography as a child with a Diana that a travelling salesman gave away.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Remember inflation, 9.99 IS $50... I can actually remember when it cost $10 to fill the tank, now it's $60 ...
    That's $9.99 "new money". I just got it yesterday. ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    59 last November. I've been shooting film since age 12 and developing my own film and prints since age 14 when I built my 1st darkroom. 5' x 8' is plenty of room to have fun in. All of my current 35mm cameras are Minolta, SRTs to Maxxums.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sehrgut View Post
    That's $9.99 "new money". I just got it yesterday. ;-)
    that cracks me up ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

How old is everyone here in 35mm land?

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi stone

sorry to pick at what you said, but i think that lomo / lo-fi / holga users ARE real photo users. there is no difference between "them" and the people who spend $4K on
    a ebony 4x5 camera. "they" just don't buy into the whole "its gotta be expensive to be a camera" thing.
    for people who don't "get" the holga thing, they should take a look at the work of victor milin. his holga / lo-fi work is mind-blowing ...
    Yes all photo users have "real" cameras, but if you are going to take a picture that's so blurry it looks like a painting, just paint... LOL just my opinion, I prefer sharp images to foggy ones most of the time, it's all preference.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I actually got my start with non-snapshooting using medium format - I had a Seagull 203 folding rangefinder (see the other thread about them), then moved to a Hasselblad, before finally getting into 35mm with a Contax 167MT. Now, gear-wise I'm all over the place with everything from a Contax G1/G2 outfit, an RTS III when I need an SLR, to a 14x17 when I want to do SERIOUS portraits. I got started in film just before the dawn of the consumer digital age, and I can remember selling the Olympus and Kodak digital cameras that would get so hot they'd almost burn your hand after taking a dozen images (I worked in a camera store from 1994-1999). Ah, the good old days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes all photo users have "real" cameras, but if you are going to take a picture that's so blurry it looks like a painting, just paint....

~Stone
    THEY ARE !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi stone

Victor Milin's images (http://www.vmilin.com) are very good. It appears that Holga/Lo-Fi can work (for me!) because it allows the photographer to simplify images by removing extraneous detail.

I'm 65 and didn't start photographing seriously until about 5 years ago. I have a small darkroom in the basement and prefer film for black-and-white because silver-gelatin prints look so good. Digital is great for color though.
    Last edited by lmonsanto; 01-24-2013 at 02:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Most are middleages not surpricing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin