Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,663   Online: 828

View Poll Results: Your age is?

Voters
377. You may not vote on this poll
  • Babycakes

0 0%
  • Teens

9 2.39%
  • Twenties

47 12.47%
  • Thirties

65 17.24%
  • Forties

79 20.95%
  • Fifties

89 23.61%
  • Sixties

63 16.71%
  • Seventies

22 5.84%
  • Eighties

3 0.80%
  • Nineties

0 0%
Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

How old is everyone here in 35mm land?

I'm new here, and I was just curious the average age of people on this board.
    I'm 21, and in love with film, however even most older photographers I talk to are done with film forever.

By the way I didn't want to exclude anyone...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Should I vote if my favored format is 8x10?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somewhere here on APUG there is a thread which includes an age poll. I cannot find it right now, and it might have been one of the rather bloated threads that Sean shut down while doing maintenance.

In my case, I am 2 score and 16 years old , and I shoot 35mm and medium format sizes.

By 21, I had been in love with film for at least 10 years - keep it up, and you may catch up .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Haha! Yes of course, anyone shooting analog!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Coming up on 72, bought an Argus C3 new at the very end of 19-ought-57 which I still have and have been shooting the last few years on 'Argus Day.' I also shoot a Canon A-1, though not as often since I've acquired a bunch of medium format gear at dimes on the dollar.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Minoltian View Post
    I'm new here, and I was just curious the average age of people on this board.
    I'm 21, and in love with film, however even most older photographers I talk to are done with film forever.

By the way I didn't want to exclude anyone...
    It's easy to see why most people abandoned film. They got bad results because they never invested any time in learning the craft. The easiest (but least efficient) form of learning is trial-and-error learning which even dogs use to solve problems. Not insulting dogs, BTW. With film, trial-and-error learning was expensive. With digital it became free. So we have a much larger crowd of good photographers, and good photographs because of digital, but many lack a deep enough understanding to handle unique situations. With film you need to know things beforehand.

Deliberate, goal-focused learning takes concentration and many of today's youth have been brought up on fast, or instant, gratification. If it takes too long they bail and chase the next shiny video game. You display a higher level of thinking ability by using film. At least that's my theory. Yet, both mediums make good photographs. Digital was, for me, the best teaching tool for film I ever had - for all the above-mentioned reasons.

I'm 50. I abandoned film. I found APUG. I came back to film. I still mostly suck.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not a lot of 35, mostly bigger. I'm surprised at the poll, I thought our bulge was in the forties.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will be turning 59 soon. I used to shoot 35mm a lot years ago, but now I shoot 120.

Jeff

Images
    In my 50's. I love 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm 36, born '76. Used film from when I was 13 (pre-digital) until 2006 (a far way after digital had got mainstream) but then returned to film in 2008. Wen tmedium format a year ago and love it. Great fun.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin