Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,212   Online: 1046

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    I have to have 100%. I'm one of those guys that files their negative carriers. I shoot E6 almost exclusively, but I don't mount it.
    +1. Back in the day, the 100 per cent viewfinder coverage of the F2 was one of the primary reasons for choosing the Nikon system. As well, as a newbie I recall thinking that the "filed-out" look was kind of cool (without really understanding that some shooters had an actual reason for filing out their neg carriers). When I set up my first darkroom a few years later, I filed out both my carriers (35mm and 6x6). To this day, I remain a "full-frame" shooter so the 100 per cent coverage of the F2/F3/f5/F6 remains critical. That said, I also own a pair of M6s, whose negs I also print "full frame"...with some interesting results. Go figure.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I print B&W so the viewfinder coverage is not as important.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Much more important for slides that are to be projected than other available options.
    Actually no, the 7% is to allow for the amount of the slide you lose when it's mounted for projection and the area that's lost in most 35mm neg carriers, because if you compose right to the edge on 100% Nikon viewfinders part of the image is otherwise lost.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to think this was really important. It was one of the reasons I got my F3hp way back when. Then I shot for some time with a pentax 67 with measly 90% coverage and so little eye relief I couldn't even see to the edges of that; now I could really care less, as long as I know the relationship between what I see and what will get put on film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Actually no, the 7% is to allow for the amount of the slide you lose when it's mounted for projection and the area that's lost in most 35mm neg carriers, because if you compose right to the edge on 100% Nikon viewfinders part of the image is otherwise lost.
    This was the original intent. The increased coverage of the Nikon F series camera allowed for much more accurate framing for scientific, technical and copy work.
    As benjiboy noted it's to allow for that bit of masking from the slide mount AND from a standard negative carrier.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    not.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    The Nikon F2 has a fit, finish, and precision tooling that is absolutely astounding. Truly a piece of assemblage above any other. After the Nikkormat FT2, the F2 is the second best of the Nikon line.
    It's very precise indeed. I used a scale when photographing the collections and really, what I saw is what I got. Not more and not less. If I ever do something critical like that again, I know what I will use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The way I look at it is the 35mm negative is already small and I want to use all of it. If I can't see all of it in the viewfinder, its hit or miss so I cannot rely on 100%. Doesn't always matter, however, when you get use to 100%, less than that is annoying. That said, I still enjoy my FE, EL, and others.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    This was the original intent. The increased coverage of the Nikon F series camera allowed for much more accurate framing for scientific, technical and copy work.
    As benjiboy noted it's to allow for that bit of masking from the slide mount AND from a standard negative carrier.
    When I had a Nikon F2 and shot mainly slides and mounted them for projection, I found the 100% viewfinder very annoying, I know 100% coverage in theory is ideal , but in practice it was a pain in the ass.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was shooting a lot of medical and scientific subjects, flat artwork, and architectural subjects with small format cameras, I often needed the 100% viewfinder accuracy for proper framing. The Nikon F, F2, F3, and F4 provided me with this very useful feature.

However, now that I shoot more vacation/travel subjects, I really prefer cameras (like rangefinders) that have more than 100% viewfinder coverage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/5219143020/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon Cameras 0074 sml.JPG  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin